2nd Epidural

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

2nd Epidural

Postby friseandcat » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:18 pm

Well, I had my second epidural. The intense pain has tapered off but my numb leg(right) is still numb and my good leg (left) is feeling tingly down my leg and the bottom of my foot. I am wondering if the doctor that did the epidural didn't poke something he should not have. It has been two weeks since I had it and the tingling comes and goes. I plan to see my Orthopedic on 10/31.

I am continuing with my swimming exercises and the streching.
friseandcat

Epidurals

Postby krd » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:41 am

Hi Friseandcat

I too had two epidurals. My second was done on the 21st of September. I also noticed some difference in my right leg (good leg) after that one. However, that has passed, and the epidural has allowed me to be much more aggressive on my PT. I am going 3 days a week, and I am now virtually pain free all of the time.

I do notice that I still get tightness in my left buttocks area occasionally after walking too much. This too is getting better every passing week with PT. I do my stretches at home every day which helps. I am also using resistance bands to strengthen my back and legs. My legs were so week after this episode since I could not walk more than 50 feet before the pain became so great.

Good luck with your rehab. If you do see a PT, make sure that they are McKenzie certified. It makes a big difference in the overall results. Be posting.....

Ken
krd

Disc Decompression

Postby friseandcat » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:21 pm

I saw my orthopedic and he could not help me anymore. He referred me back to my neurologist (my neurologist was the doctor that did the epidurals on me). He also wants me to go to a physical therapist.

Lately I have been hearing radio ads for disc decompression. Does any anyone know anything about it? Has anyone tried it? What were the results and cost?
friseandcat

Postby tomcat » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:26 pm

Hi Friseandcat

i had 20 disc decompression sessions over an eight week period. i don't think it did any good. cost was about $75 per session.
tomcat

PT works....

Postby krd » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:55 am

Hi Friseandcat

PT is a great thing, if you find the right PT. Make sure that you ask if they are "certified McKenzie back PT's". If not, keep searching. I am back to a normal life again, except for golf. I am giving my nerve a full year to heal before I attempt that.

During this time off from golf, I am doing exercises everyday that my PT has given to me. I am also working out with resistance bands which are great for back sufferers. The epidurals were great in breaking the pain cycle and allowing me to agressively pursue rehab. Even with a PT, the first few weeks were tough and many times I was very sore when done PT. However, I have no pain virtually all of the time, an occassional tingling in my left calf, but I can walk as far as I want, sit as long as I need, and sleep like a baby again.

Don't give up. Find the right PT and you will be amazed. However, you also have to give a lot of your own time doing the work at home. PT's are great, but they are only a small part of the rehab. You are the majority contributor to healing your back. Be smart, and do the exercises religiously eveyday following your PT's reccommendations.

Ken
krd

Postby SeafordMdf » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:49 am

Friseandcat

Forget the others , See your PT !!!

They are switched on with regards to this problem .

Have you downloaded any of Dean's Books ??

If not - Please DO IT , It is very complimantary to the PT work & it probably will save you some $$$ !

Dean IS a very cool Dude , It's a Donation only to download the books .

Whatever you can afford to donate is going to be well worthwhile for the EBook , Trust me , I hate bogus stuff , Dean delivers the goods & it's a really positive read !!!

If all you get out of the Ebook is the Positive read , then it's worth 300 times more than the donation !!

I see MOTIVATION AS A CURE !!!
SeafordMdf

Postby randolph » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:44 pm

Hey Friseandcat

I'd like to repeat the advice of Ken and Mark: to patiently and persistently and cautiously apply the PT.

My experience with IDD (intervertebral disc decompression) is spotty. My GP recommended that I consider a local doctor who does IDD if my back "goes out" on me again. The GP considered it the next step in conservative therapy to try if the PT I'm doing is no longer effective (so far all's well with RYB). My state medicaid would pay for it. So I assume there is some evidence it is effective if the insurance carrier is willing to pay for it.

The commercial sites on IDD claim a 80% effective rate for the treatment ... so I assume it's not unusual for the treatment to fail, like it did for tomcat. Thus a gamble for effectiveness, but not as risky as surgery (no bad side effects ... just an emptier wallet).

Part of my daily exercise is hanging by the hands from a chin-up bar I've got rigged up in my big truck. Several times a day I hang for a minute or so in between driving sessions. My back feels WAY better after hanging ... but it's difficult to say if my "home-brew" IDD is really helping since I do so many other exercises. Ken got a lot of relief from his decompression table (hang by the ankles), before he got his epidurals.

Randolph
randolph

PT vs. Decompression

Postby friseandcat » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:38 pm

Thanks everyone for giving me your opinions. I have a P/T appointment today and will inquire if he is McKenzie certified.

I have Deans book and have been following his beginning stretches. My concern is that my right leg has been numb for over 6 years now that it probably won't come back. I have heard that the body is constantly healing itself, perhaps it will heal my leg.
friseandcat

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain