Workamn's comp settlement

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

Workamn's comp settlement

Postby jayjoseph » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:49 am

Hi,
Also, I got my injury on my job and unfortunately, got fired a week later. The insurance company wants to settle the claim and I was wondering if I should settle? The ortrhopedist said that the herniation and nerve compression did not require surgery nor epidural shots. He said take Motrim and start working again. Yet, without jogging, yoga, calisthetics, etc I still have a lot of fear and am concerned about future problems down the road. I was seeing a chiropractor but I have stopped and I am now seeing an accupuncturist. Any feedback in terms of sleeping better with this pain is appreciated. Does bromelain, herbs, chinese herbs, etc help because the chiropractor said that drugs just mask the problem but never gets to the CAUSE. I am trying to create a plan of action with input from people who know from their own experiences.Thanks to all who respond. I am very frustrated at the lost of time ,money, and activities.
Thanks and have a great weekend
John
jayjoseph

Re: Workamn's comp settlement

Postby Bill » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:38 am

jayjoseph wrote:Hi,
Also, I got my injury on my job and unfortunately, got fired a week later. The insurance company wants to settle the claim and I was wondering if I should settle?

No. Not until you are completely recovered.
The ortrhopedist said that the herniation and nerve compression did not require surgery nor epidural shots. He said take Motrim and start working again.

Best to follow his advice. Dean has a couple of good articles on this:
The Truth About Herniated Discs
Herniated Discs Don't Require Surgery

Yet, without jogging, yoga, calisthetics, etc I still have a lot of fear and am concerned about future problems down the road. I was seeing a chiropractor but I have stopped and I am now seeing an accupuncturist.

Forget the chiro and the acupuncturist. Chiropractic adjustments actually damage the discs and acupuncture cannot heal anything... some people experience pain relief from it but they also do from placebo treatments.
Any feedback in terms of sleeping better with this pain is appreciated. Does bromelain, herbs, chinese herbs, etc help because the chiropractor said that drugs just mask the problem but never gets to the CAUSE. I am trying to create a plan of action with input from people who know from their own experiences.Thanks to all who respond. I am very frustrated at the lost of time ,money, and activities.
Thanks and have a great weekend
John

All pain relievers whether natural or synthetic only mask the pain. There is nothing that you can buy that will "get to the cause" because the cause is an internal injury. Given a chance the body will heal itself.

Just my opinions, of course.

Hope this helps,
Bill
Bill

Postby Becky C. » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:17 pm

Hi John,

I agree with Bill, don't settle until you have all your bills paid.

Other than that, all my advice would come right out of the book so there's not much more I could add. Just be patient and follow Dean's advice about the healing process. And don't get discouraged, herniated disks take a long time to heal.

Becky
Becky C.

Note to Bill and Becky

Postby jayjoseph » Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:38 pm

Thanks first of all to both of your letters. The stress I am experiencing is as follows: The orthopedist released me MMI 0% and said just take a couple of Motrim and return to work , but when I saw him I was on a muscle relaxant and anti-inflammatory and just came from rehab that included ultra sound and electric-stim.VERY BAD MISTAKE. So then I had one rehab left and once I stopped taking the DRUGS, BOOM, back to square one. So I requested a second orthopedist and I am being sent to a very aggressive pain center for evaluation and treatment. I am looking forward to the Pain Center. What I am learning is that , there could be muscle imbalances that are re-aggravating the injury and delaying healing. I am seeing a physiatrist and hope to get a proper evaluation of what I need to do specifically to get better. I am impressed that people have been able to use Dean's book alone without much else but for some reason my spasm/inflammation has not calmed down even with cold and heat therapy. Massage does give some relief , as does the little TENS unit but I stopped both about a month ago. My stress is I HAVE to get better soon inorder to return to work. I could use the W?C settlement $$$ but what good is it if I am still in pain and unable to work? Well, any thoughts would be of help and finally to Bill and Sandy, did you personally or know of anyone who settled with a lawyer and those who settled without a lawyer? I think the company is only responsible for the first two years after the injury date and I was fired one week after the injury due to the injury. I have been reluctant to get a lawyer because that seems to drag things on and on and on BUT...................maybe I am mistaken. I would love to hear your experiences.
thank JB
jayjoseph

Return to Lower Back Pain