neck pain aggravated

Discussions related to Upper Back and Neck Pain

neck pain aggravated

Postby sjaltman » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:05 pm

I had pain which started in my shoulder, arm, hand and learned it was coming from my neck, possibly a bulging disc. anyway my lower back has been messed up! so i started dean's back program and one of the exercises i did a certain way (probably) aggravated the neck problem. so i started dean's neck program and the neck pain is getting a bit worse. i'm not sure what to do. is this normal? should i stop the neck program until my neck seizes hurting (which is the pattern after it is aggravated if i leave it alone for a few days) and then commence each neck exercise one at a time to figure out which one is making the pain come back? is it normal to have more neck pain when you do the exercises at the beginning? that seems to be happening for me. by the way i think i adjusted the back exercise that was problematic for the neck, so that can be eliminated as a cause. any feedback? thanks for reading!
Sara
sjaltman

Postby randolph » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:32 am

Yes, Sara, sounds normal what you're going thru. And I think you've got the right idea to start with one exercise, then add one exercise at a time to find out which movements cause pain, and which ones you can continue to do without pain.

It seems pretty common for some of us to do too much at the beginning and just aggravate the problem. At least I did. Finally I just had to stop doing much of anything for a few weeks, then added one exercise/stretch at a time ... and several months later, can do them all to varying degrees.

But you've got the right idea: listen to, and respect, the pain.

Randolph
randolph

Postby sterix » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:19 pm

randolph wrote:Yes, Sara, sounds normal what you're going thru. And I think you've got the right idea to start with one exercise, then add one exercise at a time to find out which movements cause pain, and which ones you can continue to do without pain.

It seems pretty common for some of us to do too much at the beginning and just aggravate the problem. At least I did. Finally I just had to stop doing much of anything for a few weeks, then added one exercise/stretch at a time ... and several months later, can do them all to varying degrees.

But you've got the right idea: listen to, and respect, the pain.

Randolph

Yup,
I've only started for two days now and it seems to be happening to me too. The neck pain and spasm are getting worse to the point of getting me unable to function. I've had to resort to a Tens machine to try to get those spasms down. Not a very pleasant situation if you ask me.
sterix

Return to Upper Back and Neck Pain