Been Awhile

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

Been Awhile

Postby Kevin » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:32 pm

Hi everyone, Kevin here. been awhile. traveled and computer was down. Anyway, I kept up with the basics and the stretching for ham string and piriformis. When I over do it with a long work day or have driven a long distance I ice for ten minutes and heat for twenty, after stretching and before going to sleep. I am almost pain free and am actually pain free most of the day until late afternoon it starts to creep in. I really think now I had a back sprain from lifting a heavy object coupled with a narrowing disk (scar tissue). So I am lucky. But this is since July 20, so be patient out there. I just drove to Atlanta (952 miles 15 hours) and my knee actually hurt and my back didn't. Trip home started the back again so I continued the ice heat and stretch and now feeling as stated above. Not bragging, but just throwing this out to see if it can help anyone.

Really hope everyone is doing better and wish everyone success...........take care. Kevin
Kevin

Postby randolph » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:18 pm

Good to read of the progress, Kevin.

Which exercises/stretches are you doing for the hammy and piriformis?

Randolph
randolph

Randolph

Postby Kevin » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:42 am

Piriformis is right from Dean's Books or I lie down cross one leg over the other knee and then pull the knee of the leg that is touching the floor.

Ham is lying on the back and then bring one knee up and then straighten that leg (out of the book). Then do the other leg.

Then I go to one knee up and the other leg straight while lying on back. I bring the straight leg up as far as it will go. Therapist recommended using a belt around the foot and pulling to max the exercise if you are alone - it works - I usually have my daughter help me by pushing gently on the leg.

Therapist also said a good sciatica exercise is standing with both feet on a stair or stool and then alternating bringing toes of one foot to edge and letting heel drop to stretch the calf and back of the leg.

Hope it helps..........

Friend of mine had a steriod shot which helped somewhat so he is going to have another. I t acutally healed one leg but diminished the other only 30%. Doc said they will try this a few times and if it does not work then surgery. He has broad based herniation I think.

Kevin
Kevin

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain