Aquatic Therapy for Sciatica and back pain

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

Aquatic Therapy for Sciatica and back pain

Postby Sandy » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:47 pm

As a sufferer of lower back pain for a few years, I suffered from severe sciatica pain after falling on my butt a few weeks ago. Since then I have gotten relief from the sciatica pain (it took 3 weeks on Tramadol) although my nerve is still very inflamed. My p/t asked if I would like to try aquatic therapy and I said, "why not?" - well, last friday I had my first aquatic p/t session and I was amazed at how much different it was compared to regular p/t. I had so much control of my legs and body compared to "land" p/t as it is called.

Does anyone out there have advice for me as to aquatic therapy and how much and how long I should stay with it? Is this a good type of therapy for someone with a very sore back. I had a lumbar laminectomy last year after suffering pain from spinal stenosis, and the fall only aggravated my back again but I will not go back for additional surgery. My doctor wants to do "fusion surgery".

I've also downloaded Dean's "Rebuild Your Back" book and am reading it. I am really impressed with the aquatic therapy.

Sandy
:P
Sandy

Postby Steven » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:28 pm

Hi Sandy,

I've never tried aquatic therapy but I read somewhere that it can be very beneficial. I would say stick with it if it seems to be helping.

As far as the surgery is concerned, I would avoid that if at all possible. It is not the panacea that it appears.

Good luck,
Steven
Steven

Postby randolph » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:41 pm

Hello Sandy,

Just want to echo what Steven posted.

While the aquatic activity didn't work for me (my sciatica differs greatly from yours), if it works for you, that's great. Keep doing the things that strengthen you and give you pain relief. And as long as you continue to improve, why have the fusion surgery???

Randolph
randolph

Postby toyman » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:16 pm

hello Sandy, the aquatic treatment is the best for me, Ive been in scuba diving for my pain, why you ask? when your body is suspended in water
its neutral,, putting your body in a relaxed state, it puts your spine in a natral stretch with no force,. I hope this helps, but if you try it have a spotter , someone around to help,
toyman

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain