Sitting

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

Sitting

Postby Kevin » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:44 am

I found that I can sit for about a half hour or so if I sit towards the edge of the chair and place my knees far apart with my feet (totally flat) under them. I don't get the feeling of compressing my spine and it is tantamount to a pelvic pinch. Once I actually had tingling, sat this way and it went away. Any thoughts? This has been working for about three days know. I have been sitting on a hard chair and will see how it works when I go to work tomorrow.

Take care, Kevin
Kevin

Postby randolph » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:10 pm

Hi Kevin

I'll certainly be adding your new sitting position to the different ways I sit. I can't sit in any position very long ... so the more ways, the better. It never occurred to me to sit on a chair's edge, with my legs wide apart like that. Thanks for the tip.

For me to sit on the chair edge, I need to flex my back (cobra-like), which appears to be taking some of the load off the lower back. Perhaps one of the reasons the position offers some relief.

Randolph
randolph

Postby Kevin » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:44 pm

Hi Randolph,

Hope it helps. I am experimenting with this and it seems to relieve pressure on the lower spine as the hip bones and very upper thighs seem to support the weight. I also find that if you lift your heals or close your legs it seems to increase the pressure on your spine so I keep them wide apart and heels on the ground.

Kevin
Kevin

Postby tomcat » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:54 am

Hi All

I bought one of those sacro - wedgy's (didn't work for me), but the guy that sells them has an interesting theory. He says that back problems became much more prevalent with the onset of bucket seats. Bucket seats support the sides of your pelvis (and legs) with no support under the center. Prolonged sitting could cause a slight shift in the sacrum and lower back.

Just a theory, but i have more pain sitting in my wife's Acura (with firm, small buckets) than my chevy pickup (seats are wider and not as firm).

Has anyone else experienced similar problems?

Tom
tomcat

Postby randolph » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:27 am

Hi Tom

Besides higher incidence of back problems, there has also been a higher incidence of nuclear power plants since the introduction of bucket seats. That's not exactly good logic ... but there might be a connection. The scientific challenge is to design an experiment that demonstrates a cause-effect link. Your experiment with the wedgy might demonstrate no link at all between the bucket seat and your discomfort.

That's the problem with logical sounding, but actually illogical, assertions (with unverifiable theory) like the one made by the salesman selling you the sacro-wedgy. How do prove something like that? The salesman hopes you are willing to buy his product so you can have the fun of experimenting for yourself ... and he can have the fun of counting his new (your old) money. Don't you just love the market-place?!?

As for my own, anecdotal evidence ... sitting on harder, confining surfaces (especially benches, so popular in restaurants - designed to make you uncomfortable so you WON'T sit around too long, thus raising seat-turnover rate) is uncomfortable for me, too. So I just take a pillow to sit on. I'm also more comfortable sitting in my big rig seat, as opposed to my wife's little (and I mean little) Geo Metro seat. I think this relates to confinement, because both seats are soft, but i can wiggle around a whole lot more on my big rig seat, and adjust how high my butt is in relation to my knees. If I get too low, that is, my knees are higher than my butt (as in the Geo), it's definitely a lot more strain on my back to move the legs to move the foot pedals.

Of course, the real problem, as you say and Dean writes in his books, is the prolonged sitting in the C-position - places more stress on the lower back than ANY other position.

Randolph
randolph

Postby SeafordMdf » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:10 pm

Hi TomCat ,

I see your point and yes I also concur with the differences you see between the 2 different vehicles .

Sitting in the bucket seats of my 2 cars is unpleasant for my back.

But sitting in the passengers seat of a friends Mazda 1 Ton Van ( the seat is basically 2 lumps of foam with the back at 90 Degree's to the bottom ) I find it most comfortable as you are forced by the design of the seat to sit upright and almost in the correct posture.

The lumber rolls on the deeply curved Bucket seat have little support as they just tend to fold back into the curve of the bucket seat .

I use a small Throw Cushion on my drivers seat and placed it behind my back to support my lumbar , It's not a perfect situation , but It certainly helps reduce the pain .

There was a discussion running in the forum about Car seats and some good idea's were floated up .

In a perfect world , all vehicles would be fitted with Ergononic seats with fully adjustable lumbar and good back support ( Similar to the Ergo seats made by Recaro and other manufacturers ).

Just an interesting point , The worst bucket seats I've ever sat in were in a Cadillac Limo and the best were in a low priced Semi Sporty 1990's Nissan sedan , So the price of the vehicle is not always relevant to the seat support and comfort for people with back pain .
SeafordMdf

Postby randolph » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:53 am

As you might expect, since truck drivers spend so much time in a driver's seat, a lot of design has gone into the big truck driver's seat.

Some helpful, standard features in the late model Freightliners I drive: inflatable and adjustable lumbar rolls; high, adjustable back; arm rests on both sides (angle of tilt adjustable); lots of leg and head room; adjustable level of seat above floor. All the adjustments are made with push buttons that vary air pressure to each device. My 7 yr old boy loves to play space shuttle astronaut there, pushing buttons on the chair, listening to the ssssshhhh sound of the air going in or out!

I've added: a #10 can (pineapple chunks) on the floor near the fuel pedal to rest my right foot on, while in cruise control; a steel bar (about 1" diameter) a couple feet about my head that I grab with either hand to pull myself up out of the seat every few minutes.

The key seem to be to vary my sitting position every few minutes, as traffic and conditions allow.

It's also helpful to stop and stretch at least every two hours. The cobra, knee bends, and hanging from that bar are personal favorites. (DOT law requires drivers to stop and check the truck's tires at least every 3 hours ... but it's not uncommon for drivers to go MUCH longer between breaks)

Randolph
randolph

Postby SeafordMdf » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:16 am

^^^^

I wonder how many Freightliners will have their Drivers seats stolen after reading that :D

I must agree , I've sat in a few Big Rigs over the years whilst working on on there CB radio set ups .

The seats are pretty impressive things and comfortable too , I suppose with very good reason as the Driver will probably be sitting in it for 4 - 6 hrs before taking a break .

It would be nice to see car manufacturers introduce Ergonomic seating as an option across their entire product range .

I'm sure a good % of buyers would option up to decent seats .

Anyway I'll be 10-10 on the side , I'm still looking for a Freightliner with the doors unlocked :lol:
SeafordMdf

Tush Cush

Postby Sandy » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:07 pm

Hi All,
I have been suffering with sciatica for 4 weeks since I had fallen on my coccyx and I guess injured something in my lower back. I've started p/t which will also include water therapy. When my sciatica first started giving me trouble I bought what is called a "tush-cush" which is a seat wedge with a cutout in the back center where the coccyx is. While the cutout gives me some relief from pain, I find the wedge effect (lower in front) seems to ad to pressure in my lower back because of the tilt forward.
Have any of you experienced this or used the "tush cush" :?:
Sandy

Tush Cush

Postby krd » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:38 am

Hi Sandy

I too have the Tush Cush. I bought it to use in the car and at home when sitting for any extended period of time. It bothers me if I sit on it too long so I have put it in the closet for now. Maybe in the future it will come in handy again.

I find that PT has helped me significantly to regain my life back. I am doing the stretches and the strengthening exercises everyday.

Ken
krd

Re: Tush Cush

Postby Sandy » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:34 pm

[quote="krd"]Hi Sandy

I too have the Tush Cush. I bought it to use in the car and at home when sitting for any extended period of time. It bothers me if I sit on it too long so I have put it in the closet for now. Maybe in the future it will come in handy again.

I find that PT has helped me significantly to regain my life back. I am doing the stretches and the strengthening exercises everyday.

Ken[/quote]

Hi Ken, I agree with you. I had p/t today and I can see that it is going to be very helpful with alleviating my lower back pain. I have also set aside my tush cush for the time being.
Today they applied the tens stimulator and ice before and after the easy stretching exercises. I can't wait to get my life back on track. Thanks for your reply.
Sandy :P
Sandy

Sitting

Postby nuls » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:24 am

Thank you Kevin for a new sitting position, my car seat is my worst experience, I have a BMW and I think the problem is the tilt back of the seat, I use a cushion to fill this up. For long time sitting the kneeler chair is fabulous and takes all the pressure away and at the same time demands that your posture is much improved. Cheers.
nuls

sitting

Postby rose » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:51 pm

hi folks i find if i sit for half an hour at each time then get up and walk around iam much better(i fell over in august and cant walk very well )also i do a small walk each day and try and do a long walk once a week at least,but i do find sitting down for a long time is a problem.my physio said to get up every ten mins but you wouldnt have a rest at all if you done that lol!!!!tina re rosenow if anyone knows how to get rid of the pain please email me
rose

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain