HELP! AGONIZING PAIN 3 YEARS WITH CHIRO

Discussions related to Upper Back and Neck Pain

HELP! AGONIZING PAIN 3 YEARS WITH CHIRO

Postby mbraceme » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:18 am

I have bee seeing a chiro for three years and taking mass amouns of pain killers for the entire time. I just came across this site and am really angry at the the thought that I have been hurting myself all this time! I have basically sat on the couch everyday in pain and on drugs waiting for my weekly adjustment. Massage feels good but the next day-my neck is killing me. I'm talking 8-9 level. Doctors say nothing wrong with discs,they look fine! my question, is it possible to rebuild my neck after all this time? My muscles are so weak, I can barely do 5 of each exercise! Should I quit the chiro and cont. with the exercises or am I too late? Please help, anyone! I'm 42 disabled dental assistant on workers' comp (whole other nightmare!)
sherrie
mbraceme

Postby randolph » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:50 am

Hello Sherrie!

Glad you made it here.

Chirpractic manipulation of the neck has caused stroke in a very few people. And for most people it's a waste of time and money, as it sounds like it has been for you. (It seems positively criminal to me that someone would keep taking money for 3 years for rendering apparently ineffective treatment) I should think you'd be much better off saving your money and using the time you wasted in the DC's office, by giving the PT recommended in Dean's books a try.

Nothing wrong with being able to do just 5 reps of each exercise. Do what you can without pain, and you'll gradually get stronger. Impossible to say if it's too late for you. Probably not too late since your doctors haven't seen any disc damage that prevents improvement. By all means, give RYB a try.

And please keep coming back to read the success stories of others, and learn from their experiences.

Randolph
randolph

Glad to have someone reply!

Postby mbraceme » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:09 am

thank you so much Randolf for your support. I thought no one would reply and felt discouraged. I'm up to 10 reps and will keep going. I'm only in my early 40's and can't believe this is it for me. It hurts like hell, but i'm sure it's from lack of movement for 3 years i've just been on the couch trying not to move my neck at all. thanks again and i'll keep reading on.

sherrie :)

p.s. docs still say nothing wrong with my mri & xrays and tell me that is great news, which always makes me cry when they say that because of the pain i feel which they don't believe.....of course!
mbraceme

Postby randolph » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:15 am

Yes, Sherrie, that's a big one: really understanding the pain of another.

Until I'd experienced back pain, I thought folks who complained of back pain or declined to do some back-stressing work were just wimps. Boy, was I wrong :oops: That doesn't make your un-empathetic doctor right ... but at least you can understand his/her difficulty dealing with the extreme pain you are in. It might help to STRONGLY emphasize: this is a 10 on the pain scale!!!!

There never was not much reliable, predictive, information for me in that frequent, negative, fatalistic feeling that told me "this is it" ("it" being THE END). Yes, things are relatively bad now... but that doesn't mean tomorrow or next month or next year will be, too. Which doesn't lessen today's pain ... but it does seem to make it more bearable to me, to know the pain will eventually lessen ... and end ... (before I do :D )

Glad to hear the reps with the exercises you are doing, are increasing. Just a reminder: to only do what you can with minimal discomfort. There is no gain in trying to "push thru the pain". It takes a while to learn your limits, but healing is maximized by minimizing activity that hurts.

Randolph
randolph

Return to Upper Back and Neck Pain