pillows for neck pain?

Discussions related to Upper Back and Neck Pain

pillows for neck pain?

Postby dhunter » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:37 am

I am 49 years old, in pretty good physical shape, but have suffered from neck pain for many years. I believe that it orginated from a football injury when I was about 20, a head-on collision that compressed my neck. Since then, I have pretty much constant, low-level neck pain, and somewhat limited range of motion. The pain and stiffness is on my left side, toward the bottom of my neck, somewhere underneath my trapezius muscle.

From time to time, the pain gets pretty bad, and it seems to be sleeping in a poor position that triggers it. When this happens, I'll go to a chiropractor a few times and get massaged/adjusted, and it will improve to my level of "normal". A few years back a chiro x-rayed my neck, and about all she could say is that my neck looked too straight. Recently, another suggested I try yoga, which I've done. Now, believe me, yoga has made me feel great, but it hasn't helped my neck at all.

Over the years, I've done a few things that have lessened the frequency of the severe pain: I got a very firm mattress, and started using a down pillow. My question is, would a pillow designed for neck pain help me more than the down pillow? Which types of pillows should I consider?

Looking forward to receiving your neck book. I'm convinced that a combination of the right exercises and a good sleeping environment will help me. I'm getting to the age where good sleep is getting harder to acquire, and I'd really like to make neck pain a thing of the past.
dhunter

Postby dhunter » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:05 am

No replies yet, so I'll give an update. I got a Homedics pillow, endorsed and marketed by Tony Little, yesterday. It's in four sections, and filled with some kind of beads, and has spandex cover. Tried it last night, and the pillow has a very firm feel to it. It seems to conform nicely, but doesn't compress like a normal pillow. The sensation of using it is akin to sleeping on a very firm mattress for the first time. It is also billed as a "cool" pillow (it won't make your head hot), and I'd agree with that.

One "side effect" of this pillow that might turn out to help me - I cannot sleep on my stmach with it, it's just too thick and firm. I think sleeping on my stomach, with my head turned a certain way, is how I aggravate my neck. Forcing me out of this position might make it a little harder for me to get to sleep, but I'll trade that for less neck pain, no problem. Time will tell.
dhunter

Postby randolph » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:00 am

Hello dhunter

Have you tried the RYB neck exercises yet? They help me with the frequent stiff neck and upper back I get from the hours of driving I do. The stiffness and pain seem to come if I haven't been able to stretch and bend for a few hours, such as when driving in heavy fog or whiteouts when you've got to focus for hours without a break. I'm wondering if it might help you to do these before going to bed and after waking, if you wake up with pain in the neck?

That homedics pillow doesn't sound particularly comfortable ... but if it works for you, great! My wife is on the search for the perfect pillow (... I think it might be a female thing). But in your case, with your old neck injury, I can see where the right pillow could make a big difference. I can't tell the difference in any of the castoff pillows I get from her (I've never had any problem getting to sleep, like you) ... but with all the pillows around, it sure is easy to find a comfy spot to rest my head!

Randolph
randolph

Postby dhunter » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:55 am

haven't received the book yet, made a contribution to this site a couple of weeks ago. how long does it typically take to ship?
dhunter

Postby SeafordMdf » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:21 am

^^^^

After you make your donation to the site / forum via PayPal you should have been re-directected back to a link so you could download a copy of the 1 of 3 Ebooks that you wish to have .

It is a pure Ebook that you download and then can print off on your computers printer .

Probably best thing is to email Dean at webmaster (at) rebuildyourback (dot) com and explain what happened and I'm sure he can give you a link to the download site for your Ebook
SeafordMdf

Return to Upper Back and Neck Pain