Back pain PREVENTION

Here's where you can discuss topics that don't exactly fit the above classifications.

Back pain PREVENTION

Postby randolph » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:05 am

An idea came up during the conversation with MJ recently: prevention of back pain.

The focus here has always been on folks with already developed back problems, and how to prevent it from happening again. But there's a huge market for somehow presenting info on preventing back disorders from happening in the first place to those who still have good backs.

How to do this? Maybe there's something to learn from, in how prevention of dental problems has blossomed in this country the last 100 years. My grandfather told me that when he was a boy a 100 years ago, there was little info on how to prevent cavities. He used small rags to clean his teeth - tootbrushes hadn't been invented yet. Floss also hadn't been invented - just a crude type of toothpick was available, if you cared to look for one in the grass field. And invention of pain-killers was still in its infancy.

Considering the huge incidence of back pain in this country, prevention would certainly help. If I'd known 30 years ago that doing a few stretches and exercises each day, and learning how to do things without traumatizing my lower back, would greatly reduce the likelihood of the scourge of lower back pain and sciatica ... I think that even as stupid as I was then, I would have added the simple, preventitive exercises to my exercise routine.

Somebodies are making millions on tooth prevention (making toothbrushes, floss, and educating consumers to the problem of tooth decay, etc); it looks like the same opportunity is here for back pain prevention.

Just a thought.

Randolph
randolph

Postby Dean » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:36 pm

Yes, definitely something to think about.

Hindsight is 20/20 as they say. I definitely wish I'd known 30 years ago what I know now...

I think we will see what you're suggesting happen over the next few years. I think this website will play a part in it... if for no other reason than to get people away from the chiropractors so that they don't have that source of bad information clogging up their brains with nonsense.

I intend to keep plugging away... trying to get the information out there so people can make the right choices.

Later,
Dean
Dean
Site Admin

Postby SeafordMdf » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:42 pm

Hi Guys ,

Thought I'd chime in on this one .

Certainly it is a good idea and the warm up stretches and exercises are probably some of the most important things that need to be drilled into everyone from an early age .

I may have covered what I'm going to say below in earlier posts , but to re-inforce this good idea that Randolf has raised , I'll bring it up again.

In 1981 when I started my Trade apprenticeship on the 2nd day of work , we were all sent off to a Training room to do a full day of hands-on training about Kinetic Lifting ( Bend Your Knee's , Keep your back straight )

After the initial chuckles from a group of rowdy 17 yr olds as to the "Relevance" of this to our new job , We settled into a very In-Depth course .

We covered the mechanics of the spine and back , How to lift correctly and why the methods shown were the safest .

We all walked out at the end of the day with a completely NEW attitute towards our backs .

The company followed this up with frequent refresher courses ( Usually every 6 months ) during the 14 years I worked for them .

During that time I was unaware of any of my workmates ever getting a back injury , Other than a few that were injured at work in Car Accidents , Falls off Ladders and Roofs , Slips and trips Etc that are not a direct result of Lifting badly .

OK , To my point : Randolf's point about Warm ups , Stretches and excercises was never once ( To my memory ) ever mentioned in the courses I attended :?

There probably is a huge opportunity for someone to make millions out of back pain prevention training / education & honestly I would welcome that .

As we know prevention is far easier than cure .

In the 1950's & 60's a huge Road Safety campaign for young children swept across my country ( Australia ) and it had a huge impact on the number of Children being involved in incidents and accidents with motor vehicles and now that training is a normal part of School education.

Perhaps Back Pain Prevention should be a part of everyone's education from a very early age , so that it becomes second nature as the Road Safety education has become :?:
SeafordMdf

Postby randolph » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:50 am

It would be interesting to know if the Japanese have less trouble with back problems than here in the U.S. It's apparently common there for workers to begin their work day with mandatory stretching and exercises.

Here in the U.S., I've never worked for anyone who took the time to educate me about the proper care of the back during work activities. But it does seem to be common to see posters (next to that bulletin board you see at every work place with the mandatory notices on minimum wage law, etc.) that cleverly broadcast: Lift with your legs. When I was one of those rowdy 17 yr olds, I might have looked at the poster if there had been a bikini clad, Pamela Anderson lookalike demonstrating ... which suggests using the typical American approach to advertising: Caring for your back is sexy!!!

In the meantime, it's now one of my jobs at home to gently remind the wife and kids whenever they are doing something in a back-unfriendly manner, and suggest a wiser way to do the activity. It didn't take long for them to get the hang of it ... and point out when I goof it :oops:

Randolph
randolph

Return to General Health Topics