ryb exercises

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

ryb exercises

Postby kerry graham » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:51 pm

Hi I purchased the book RYB 5 weeks ago after suffering from really painful sciatica for 4 weeks.But I've had a bad back on and off for 9 years.

I started on the simple stretching exercises about 4 weeks ago and my leg is feeling alot better.However,3 days ago I started on the next stage of the programme(stretching mobility strenghtening etc)as instructed and although I am not in pain as such my lower back aches and I feel alittle stiff!!

IS this normal or am I doing the next exercises too soon or am I doing them incorrect?

Anyone else had similar problems.
Thanks Kerry
kerry graham

Postby randolph » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:35 pm

Hello Kerry

Sounds like you did just a little bit too much too soon. A very normal thing to do as you learn your limits.

It's a very good sign, I think, that you had good progress the first 4 weeks, doing the beginning RYB exercises, presumably without back ache or stiffness. Since the back ache and stiffness started after doing the advanced exercises, you might want to cut back to doing just the beginning exercises again until the pain and stiffness is gone (probably within a week). Then add the advanced exercises, a few each week, so you can better monitor which movements or positions are causing pain and are better left for doing later, as your healing progresses.

In my own case, it took me several months to be able to do the cobra with my palms on the floor ... and after a year, I'm still working on bending forward. But progress is definitely forward.

Keep experimenting; it's alright to start slow with each exercise and very gradually add reps and time you do each one. Don't be too concerned about the daily setbacks; measure progress week-to-week.

Hope this helps. Randolph
randolph

Return to Lower Back Pain