Am I healing?

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

Am I healing?

Postby Kevin » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:07 pm

This is Kevin. I have been doing the exercises (basics and some advanced for the piriformis and hamstrings) for about a week and a half. My pain originally started in my back and then went to both legs and feet, the needles and tingling type. Now my back feels almost perfect but the leg pain is still in the legs and feet and seems to be getting worse in the both the back and front of the upper thighs and legs. More of a needle type feel. Is this a good sign or bad....any thoughts..............or similar experiences?

Thanks and hope everyone is improving and healing............Kevin
Kevin

Re: Am I healing?

Postby Rupert » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:47 am

Kevin wrote:This is Kevin. I have been doing the exercises (basics and some advanced for the piriformis and hamstrings) for about a week and a half. My pain originally started in my back and then went to both legs and feet, the needles and tingling type. Now my back feels almost perfect but the leg pain is still in the legs and feet and seems to be getting worse in the both the back and front of the upper thighs and legs. More of a needle type feel. Is this a good sign or bad....any thoughts..............or similar experiences?

Thanks and hope everyone is improving and healing............Kevin

I have gone through a similar pattern as you are going through. I would say the pins and needles in legs and feet is nothing to fool with though it is less painful compared to the orignal back episode. For me it more of a nuisance that it makes me concerned. Anytime i do something that strains the back i get an increase in this pins activity.
During the day it is allright, it is most troubling during the night, in my case it has definitely caused me difficulty in sleep.
This has to be checked by identifying what causes it and limiting that.

Right now I am having trouble dealing with it. But remain optimistic. The problem in my case as soon as i get better for a day, i introduce 5-6 new exercises and then can not track which of the exercises is causing it. This time i am going to be more disciplined.

Please keep updating, we are on the same path.

JUst do exercises very slowly and watch the lefs and foot for nerve symptoms. Cut down on exercises unless you notice the symptoms stop and then build up the exercise routine gradually.

Best Wishes,

Rupert
Rupert

Thanks

Postby Kevin » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:42 pm

Rupert, thanks. Actually felt real good on Sunday and then had to travel a couple of days on business............ouch. all back and more. I have back and pins and needles and now trouble sleeping. I have scaled back on the exercises becuase like you I think I over did one or two of them. will have more patience this time. I am having an MRI done on Friday just to see is they can see something obvious but still am committed to Deans exerices regimen to avoid surgery and in the event I need it will still do the regimen afterward.

Thanks and hope your improving...............

Kevin
Kevin

Good luck with your MRI

Postby krd » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:21 pm

Hi Kevin

I too am having a serious bout with sciatica. This has been the worst case that I have ever had. My MRI showed a moderate herniation at L5. I saw the back doc on Monday and the good news is that he thinks I don't need surgery. I am scheduled for an epidural root block on Friday. He feels that I am a good candidate for this and that the success rate is around 70%. I opted to do this since a guy I know did it and had 80% reduction in pain almost immediately. He went for a second injection and now is pain free.

I realize that all this does is give me a chance to rebuild my back. I have 4 weeks of PT to do after the injection. I am going to do Dean's stretches also if the PT thinks they are OK for my condition. Also, there is a good book out there called "Back RX". This guy believes, like Dean, that exercise is the best solution. He uses mild yoga and pilates stretches. I have read it and I am going to implement them also, once the pain subsides. I will let you know how the injection turns out. Be posting.

Ken
krd

Thanks Ken

Postby Kevin » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:36 pm

Ken, thanks. So an epidural just blocks the pain. What if your condition does not improve, will the pain come back?

I had an MRI today and will get the results next week.

Keep me posted. I am looking into Back RX and Dr McGill from the postings I have seen.

Keep posting and I wish you the best.

I have been doing ice and heat as recommended. 4 of each.....10 minutes ice and 20 heat........seems to help. I do it when I can but certainly at the end of the day after work and before bed..........

Thanks again. Kevin
Kevin

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain