HELP!! Sleeping with sciatica

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

HELP!! Sleeping with sciatica

Postby kerry graham » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:52 am

Hi I've suffered with back pain for years on and off! I have just started with these exercises about a week so its alittle early to pass judgement as yet!!However two week ago I started with Sciatica and I'm having great difficulty sleeping with the problem.
When I get up in a morning I'm in a great deal of pain from my hip to my ankle and it takes me a few hours of moving around before it eases any.Does anyone have any tips on how I might get a better nights sleep and not feel as rough in a morning?
I've tried everything from sleeping on the floor to sleeping with my legs elevated,with cushions under my knees,on my back,on my side,nothing seems to help.

PLEASE HELP ! If you have any advice please let me know.

Cheers Kerry xx
kerry graham

Me too....

Postby krd » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:42 am

Hey Kerry

I too battle with sciatica. It is very difficult to sleep when it is in it's acute stage. I fing that taking 4 Advil before bed helps with sleeping by taking some of the edge off. However, it doesn't let you sleep through the night. I wish that I too could get a better night sleep.

Also, try melatonin. It is a vitamin and is natural. It helps to make you a little more sleepy and this might help somewhat. I hope you find this passes soon and that you can rest peacefully. Be posting.

Ken
krd

Postby randolph » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:58 am

Hello Kerry

One of the worst problems I had during the initial weeks of sciatica was the inability to sleep. There was absolutely no comfortable position in bed, tho lying on my back was the least-horrible position. Naproxin sodium (aleve) was the best OTC medication I found, but that seems to vary considerably with the person. Tylenol, aspirin, and ibuprofen are preferred by others. If I had to do it over again, I'd get a heavier duty, perscription pain killer from a GP, just so I could get some decent sleep. Some folks I work with get by pretty good with some codeine based meds, but there is quite a variety of stuff out there to effectively cut the pain without unreasonable risk of addiction. You might want to talk with your GP.

Some nights were pretty tough even with max doses of naproxin ... all I could do was curse God or crawl outside and scream in the woods. For five weeks after the onset of my sciatica symptoms, bedtime was the worst part of the day. But healing does happen for most sciatica sufferers (my body does seem to heal in spite of my frequent verbal complaints) ... and the night does come, for most, when pain- and drug-free sleep happens. Typically, orthopedic surgeons claim that if persistent, unbearable pain continues for more than 4-6 weeks, surgery may be a serious consideration - the claim is that if you wait any longer that there is a higher possibility of permanent nerve damage and lower probability of successful surgery - who really knows in your case???

I wish, Kerry, that I could recommend some magic potion. Those long, lonely nights awake, while everyone else sleeps so easily and blissfully, are absolutely the worst. More than once I considered suicide ... but thankfully, this advice kept me going: this too shall pass. And doing the beginning RYB exercises, even the little bit that I could, really did help.

Keep coming back here, getting educated to the good prospects you have for recovery. Good luck.

Randolph
randolph

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain