Herniated Disc c5-c6

Discussions related to Upper Back and Neck Pain

Herniated Disc c5-c6

Postby cheryl » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:27 am

I have been diagnosed with a herniated disc at c5-c6 and surgery has been highly recommended by an orthopedic surgeon because I have lost the use of the upper left arm.

The book keeps stating that these exercises will work as long as there isn't any ongoing muscle weakness. This is my issue. I can't say that the weakness is ongoing, but it is there -- not getting better or worse. I just can't lift my left arm.

Does anyone have a similar situation where there exercises have benefitted?

I wil start working them and wait to hear from someone.

Cheryl
cheryl

Postby randolph » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:22 pm

Hi Cheryl

Sounds like you have time to consider alternatives to surgery since your condition is not getting worse, and I'm assuming pain not bad, since you didn't mention any accompanying pain.

Can you give us a history of the herniated disc, answering questions like: was the herniated disc the result of an accident? did you get MRI? how condition diagnosed? how long has the arm been weakening? what is your approx age? related accidents? general physical condition and favorite physical activities? other therapies used for the condition?

Thanks, Randolph
randolph

Return to Upper Back and Neck Pain