Muscle imbalance

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

Muscle imbalance

Postby el » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:05 pm

Hey guys its el!im going strong!!!!!!!!I still have a knot at the left side of the very bottom of my lower spine and the left side of the mid back,im doing the stretches that help these areas and they seem to be going but still not completly,my question is that will the strenghtening excercises make thes worse or tighter?i still feel my right side of my abs more than the left when i crunch too,anyone know how to solve this imbalance?
Thanks
El :D
oh and Dean if you are reading this you are my hero!
el

Postby randolph » Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:39 pm

Howdy El

Do you have a friend who could massage those tight back muscles for you most days? Have you tried frequent massage for those muscles?

As far as muscle imbalance ... I would think as long as those muscles are unusually tight, the first priority would be to stretch/loosen them. I have no experience with the reality of applying that thinking ... perhaps another reason to find a good PT, as Dean and Jeannette have recommended.

But massage sounds like it could be fun and relaxing, as well as therapeutic.

Randolph
randolph

Postby el » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:20 am

yes maybe i jumped the gun with the strenghthening exercises but i just got fed up as its taking me months to get the knots to go,i was doing all the strenghtening exercises 4 times a week but my right side is stronger than my left,i dont know how to fix that plus i still have a tight muscle on the left side of my spine at the middle and very base of my spine.i dont know whether i should have waited for those to go completly before i started the strenghtening,what do you reckon?
thanks for your help
eloise
X
el

Postby randolph » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:56 pm

Hello again, Eloise

My gut feeling is that you're packing a whole lot of stress ... not only from trying to survive (and succeed!) in NYC, but from your previous, not completely healed, injuries. And as Dean says, healing has to come first, before strengthening, or you're building on a weak foundation.

I've heard that stars like Paula Abdul worked insanely hard, in spite of the incredible pain of their back issues ... and I'm the last one to throw cold water on your tremendous determination to make your dreams come true (I am in awe of those of you who've got the guts to try and succeed at something BIG by moving into NYC). But I think you've really got to do some things to relax. Soaking in a hot tub? Swimming at the Y? Massage with a friend? Stretching/yoga/pilates/ballroom dancing/etc. to your favorite music? Listening to John Sterling and Susan Walton describing the New York Yankee baseball games on the radio does it for me. (And if the Yankees win ... hey, life is good!!)

That's what I reckon. Hope this helps, El.

Randolph
randolph

Postby el » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:48 am

Yeah Randolph thats pretty much the best advice anyone has given me and im relaxing with my family now and taking things a lot easier and stretching until im better to do anything more!
Thank you for that,you are very sweet
kind regards
el
X
el

Postby randolph » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:39 am

AAAAAHHHHH! Summertime R&R! That's really good to read, Eloise!

I'm really looking forward to seeing you in the bright lights one day. Good luck!

Randolph
randolph

Return to Lower Back Pain