Back pains in the high humidity?

Here's where you can discuss topics that don't exactly fit the above classifications.

Back pains in the high humidity?

Postby DEB » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:06 pm

Any idea why my back and leg bother me more when the humidity is higher? I live in the Chicago land area and it has been a humid summer.
DEB

Postby randolph » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:15 pm

Hi DEB

When there is less air pressure on our body, the gases in your joints expand and cause pain. (from page 271 of MAD ABOUT PHYSICS - Braintwisters, Paradoxes, and Curiosities by Jargodzki and Potter). Since times of low pressure are usually stormy times with increased humidity, it follows that times of high humidity might account for your increased joint and back pain. And since most storms happen in the colder months, I would suppose you are completely justified, DEB, to desire to go to less stormy (and coincidently warmer) climates during the winter months for pain relief. Do you think we might get our medical insurance companies to pay for trips to Hawaii as a medical expense? :lol:

Randolph
randolph

Return to General Health Topics