Catch 22: what activities can be done?

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

Catch 22: what activities can be done?

Postby Rupert » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:47 am

Anyone,

i am 35 and have a l5-s1 right sided broad based herniation as per the MRI report(no sign of any other complication like ddd or other bulges). But my PT says the way i am able to move around he thinks it is probably a bulge.
But i am not able to do hamstring stretch of the right leg, if i do it aggravtes the symptoms in the left leg. I am doing all exercises that i can and even working computer job by standing and keep moving around to avoid stand still. I am ready to live with the back problem but my plight is different.
I can not be called as a sharp dude,actually am an underachiever because of neurlogical lack of development. And for the last year and a half was on my way to finally living up to my potential as I was doing exercises part of neurological development delay therapy that were god sent for me. I was getting better mentally and emotionally by leaps and bounds every day. But it all ended one fine day when my back got injured.

The exercises are simple but involve...slow rolling with hands stretched over the head, static lizard like movement, marine crawling, creeping on all fours like a toddler, and some yoga like movements lying on the back. I am too afraid to start the rolling, crawling and lizard like movemet exercises but that also means living an underachieving life.

I want to know is it possible for me to do these may be six months later with proper warm up and creating a room with good padding on which to do these and do these slowly.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Rupert, PA
Rupert

Postby Admin » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:17 pm

Hi Rupert,

I can't address the specific program you were on, but in general, I can't see any reason why you couldn't continue it once you get past the back problems.

(By the way, I edited your post slightly. It's generally not a good idea to address questions directly to me ... or anyone for that matter ... because it tends to make other people think they can't answer your question. Someone else might know a great deal about your question and may be able to give you a better answer than I would.)

Keep us posted on your progress,
Dean
Admin
Site Admin

Thanks Dean

Postby Rupert » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:43 am

Admin wrote:Hi Rupert,

I can't address the specific program you were on, but in general, I can't see any reason why you couldn't continue it once you get past the back problems.

(By the way, I edited your post slightly. It's generally not a good idea to address questions directly to me ... or anyone for that matter ... because it tends to make other people think they can't answer your question. Someone else might know a great deal about your question and may be able to give you a better answer than I would.)

Keep us posted on your progress,
Dean
Rupert

Postby randolph » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:26 am

Hello Rupert

I'm not really sure "catch-22" describes the difficult rebuilding challenge those of us with sciatica symptoms have before us. Yes, there are a lot of things we can do that are counter-productive, and will actually hurt us further if we do them, in spite of our best intentions. But with a bit of awareness, we can each discover those movements, positions (as Jeannette calls them), exercises and activities that are good for us to do. You seem to be on the way to discovering those exercises: educating yourself to what is available out there and trying them out for yourself, then discarding those that cause too much pain, or are too diffficult, or are too easy, etc. Yosarian, in Catch-22, was indeed in a horrible predicament in the WW2 Army Air Force ... but thankfully we have some hope!! But I can sure relate to the frustration that we sometimes feel dealing with this monster.

I'm not sure your PT was accurate in concluding that your disc bulge was small based on your good range of movement. Symptoms are not necessarily worse because the bulge is bigger. Some folks have small bulges and big pain ... and visa versa. It's one of the reasons this lower back disorder is so difficult to treat. But it sure is a good thing that you can move around as good as you do, hammy limitation notwithstanding. Again, if you find some good hammy stretches or exercises that increase hammy flexibility, I'l sure like to hear about them. My right hammy has been really tight since the sciatica reared its ugly head.

Also, there's no reason you can't sit down sometimes (unless of course it really hurts to do so). The problem is sitting down all the time (like I was when I was driving a truck). So the goal is to develop a variety of positions while we do our work. So try sitting for short periods, then alternate that with periods of standing, or putting your feet up while you sit, or sitting on your feet, or whatever your clever brain comes up with ... just so you aren't always in the same (and thus potentially harmful) C-position. Variety for us is more than the spice of life!!

Randolph
randolph

Thanks for sharing your experience

Postby Rupert » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:00 am

Randolph,
thanks for taking time to clear up my confusion.

I can sit without much pain and have like you sat for long periods of time all along first studying for 10-12 years and then working in computer industry for another 10 years. Sometimes sitting 5 hours without going to the loo even. That is the determination I sometimes used to get a problem solved. That I am not going to move unless I solve this issue.

I am inquiring about the twinflex back brace, the compny manufacturing it says it is used by professional athletes for conditioning, it does not cause muscle atrophy as it keeps the muscles into work. For the time being I bought a back saver ($10)from walmart to help during grocery and any lifting only, otherwise I never wear it. If it turns out for me as well as it turned out for Ken i would be able to continue my NDD therapy exercises with twinflex.

Yes Randolph we will conquer this monster, we will not be denied.

Cheers!
Rupert
Rupert

Postby randolph » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:07 pm

Hi Rupert

I can heartily recommend WalMart's $25 back brace. I've had great success with it the last 3 weeks driving on the road. I bought it as an experiment, thinking if it didn't work well, I'd order one from Twinflex like Ken has recommended. But I'm really very satisfied with this cheaper, WalMart version. Maybe Ken can weigh in on the superiority of the Twinflex version, if any, over the WalMart one.

Most days I do abdominal exercises (curl-ups/crunches, bridges) to make sure I don't become dependent on the brace. The value of the brace seems to be to help the injured sciatic nerve heal during the acute phase of healing, which can last several months. Acts sort of like a cast, to minimize movement in the lumbar spine area. I assume I will eventually be able to move about normally without it.

I've used the kneeling chair. Had one for years until recently. The value seemed to be that it provided variety in the sitting posture ... and that's what we're after: varying the sitting position. Dr. McGill recommends changing sitting positions at least once an hour ... and he says it's especially important for those like us who sit for many hours a day for hours at a time. So I would suppose for providing variety, the kneeling chair sounds beneficial. I think Ken nailed it by recommending gradually increasing the time you sit on the kneeling chair or ball. Dr. McGill also recommends that sciatica/LBD sufferers be especially careful sitting on a ball. It can add more load on the lumbar spine if the muscles aren't used to it or are weak. Be sure to tell us how using the kneeling chair or ball works for you.

Randolph
randolph

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain