Herniation reabsorption

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

Herniation reabsorption

Postby Rupert » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:46 am

Fellow BackWarriors,

what steps can be taken to accelerate or help with Herniation reabsorption.
So far I have learnt:
1.Avoid sitting/driving.
2.Do PT but avoid the exercises that seem to aggravae the pain.
3.Do traction.
4.Eat healthy diet.

is there a silver bullet in herniation reabsoprtion.

Thanks,
Rupert
Rupert

Postby randolph » Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:43 am

Hello Rupert

Your question very interesting.

I think we have two very potent allies in our quest to rebuild our backs: time and our minds.

Time: the body is trying to heal the tissue damage that finally exploded in pain.

Our minds: learning to not do those things we've been doing for years that finally led to the degenerated disc problem.

So a major challenge, then, is to simply get out the way of our body so it can heal. In my case, for forty years, while pursuing the admirable goals of maintaining physical fitness and working hard at my physical taks, I was moving wrong and way too much. Every improperly-done leg squat, situp, pushup, hammer swing, shovel dig, etc., I was slowly breaking my own back, stressing tissue beyond moderate levels of use without adequate rest between exercise sessions. Yes, we are designed to work and exercise, but for longevity, with moderation. Enough activity to stay fit, enough rest between work sessions. Like so many other things we do, moderation is a key.

So the challenge seems to be, for me, to learn to move witthout unnecessary stress on the spine (especially the lumbar area for us with lower back disorders). Learning how to do a situp properly; learning how to use a floor vacuum properly, etc., by watching how I presently do each and every thing I do, in case I'm micro-traumatizing my back unnecessarily. And resting enough by taking more breaks and often varying my activities. This places a lot of responsibility on each of us, to see which of the RYB exercises are best for us, and how much to do each exercise ... but that also gives us the ultimate control on how much we heal (within the limits of our body's incredible ability to heal).

I'm encouraged to see that this approach is working for me. No surgery; no drugs; no expensive treatments. A silver bullet? Perhaps. Silver ... as in ... silver lining around some dark adversity. Not magical ... but at least do-able.

Neat question, Rupert. Randolph
randolph

"Time and mind" is the key

Postby Rupert » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:08 am

Randolph,
yes Time is a great healer is true here as well.

Minds, we would have to educate ourselves by listening to our bodies to avoid microtraumatizing and doing all physical activities the right way will be the key. That will in fact determine if we did enough to reverse the back deterioration.
Is there any nutritional supplement that aids in bulding the disc exterior after herniation reabsorption?

Cheers!

Rupert, PA
Rupert

Postby randolph » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:50 pm

Hi Rupert

Don't know of anything specifically helpful for rebuilding discs ... but I do know of some things that aren't. According to Dr. Dean Edell, who uses his national radio show to report on scientific, clinical trials of popular treatments (including vitamin/supplement therapies), is generally pretty skeptical of any supplement having "magic bullet" healing properties.

He reported a few months ago that three very popular supplements (chondroitin sulfate, glucosamine sulfate, and shark cartilage) are completely ineffective in promoting any bone, ligament or related tissue growth.

His dietary recommendations for humans (including sick ones) is pretty simple: eat a wide variety of foods. He says most Americans tend to eat a less varied diet than others in the world, and recommends increasing the amount of fresh fruits and veggies. Dr. Dean's books are in my local library system up here in the hills of North Carolina ... so I'd guess you can find them pretty easy too, in PA, Rupert, if you're looking for more detailed info.

I asked my GP (who's a pretty knowledgeable, old timey doctor who keeps up with lots of the research going on in the medical world) the same question about supplements. He said a good multiple is sufficient. I haven't noticed any problem since I stopped taking my dozens of different supplements last year ... except my wallet is a bit fatter so I sit a bit lopsided. :D

I admit being skeptical about the "wonder cure" claims that supplement sellers make ... but I'm not close-minded ... so I will listen to facts, if anyone has some showing the effectiveness of some nutritional therapy helping our backs rebuild. Anything that works is a good thing!

Randolph
randolph

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain