Pins and needles if is sleep on a soft bed

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

Pins and needles if is sleep on a soft bed

Postby Rupert » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:38 pm

I have been athletically active all my life. Played soccer in college and have been very fit and flexible. Three weeks ago while i was doing a leg lift lying on my stomach I felt pain in my hips as if my hips were not ready to help me do the leg lifting. I got up and noticed I could not bend either. It was a saturday so I went to a pharmacy and was told that should take ibuprofen and 'take it easy'. Then as the pain grew worse largely because i did not take time off, drove to work and tried to do some self back exercise as weel. i went to see a doctor the same week who put me on flexaril and naproxene. I took these two apeice only for 3 days. Then hit upon this blog and got the RYB book. Started cooling/heat and pain subsided. But I have not tried recently, about a week ago if i slept on the soft bed i would get pins and needles at the bottom of my feet and feet would start to go numb.
I sleep on a camping pads on the carpet now and am better. Last wednesday my doctor sent me to a Chiropractor. I did go once but i refused to go again out of fear of damage. I want to handle this right. Next week when I go to see a doctor I would ask him to send me for an MRI.And then follwo it up with PT. I am only 34 and am planning to have at least 3 kids with my wife. I work as a software engineer which is a sitting job. Would I be able to take care of kids now specially after this episode of back problem. Is this going to be there always?

Rupert,
Philadelphia
Rupert

Re: Pins and needles if is sleep on a soft bed

Postby Jeanette » Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:34 pm

Rupert wrote:I have been athletically active all my life. Played soccer in college and have been very fit and flexible. Three weeks ago while i was doing a leg lift lying on my stomach I felt pain in my hips as if my hips were not ready to help me do the leg lifting. I got up and noticed I could not bend either....Then hit upon this blog and got the RYB book. Started cooling/heat and pain subsided....Next week when I go to see a doctor I would ask him to send me for an MRI. And then follwo it up with PT. I am only 34 and....work as a software engineer which is a sitting job. Would I be able to take care of kids now specially after this episode of back problem. Is this going to be there always?

Rupert,
Philadelphia

Hi Rupert -- Speaking as a mother who continued to care for my child...and pets and horses, etc -- after back injuries, I assure you you will be able to take care of kids. No easy out here :lol:

But, more seriously, as a young man of 34 who apparently spends a good deal of time at a desk and computer (and exercises on what schedule?), I think it's safe to say you've had a wake-up call -- and this IS the time to respond! You've made a good start by seeing your physician. (Whether to use a chiropractor you have to judge for yourself. I've had chiropractic help that got me through some painful acute episodes, but the most effective also involved ice, massage, and follow-up exercises, so compared to some folks on this site, I think I've been fortunate to find competent and conservative chiropractic care.)

Depending on your physician's evaluation, you may not need an MRI yet. (It's expensive and, if your back responds to PT and exercise, may not be necessary.) As others have noted elsewhere, a couple PT sessions may help you tune in to the proper way to use your body both at work and at play. You already have Dean's book -- good move! :) Strengthening core muscles, especially the deep underlying spinal support muscles, will, I suspect, go a long way to keeping your back healthy.

As to the bending over piece that you mentioned in another thread, assuming there's no vertebral fractures or impingements, bending over is a part of natural movement which is worth working to recover. Once you've rebuilt your back and learned how to use your support muscles, it should be something you can do again -- but you want to focus on doing it correctly, especially if you're incorporating another movement (like twisting or lifting weight) at the same time. If you start now, hefting an infant or child shouldn't be a problem.

As to the soft bed, I think you've found the answer already since sleeping on the firm floor is more comfortable for you. You may want to browse the threads here where folks have discussed the pro's and con's of different kinds of mattresses. You definitely want something that supports you and that you don't feel you have to climb out of. You may also want to consider your sleep position. That can also either aggravate or help your back discomfort.

Good luck with your program....
Jeanette

Driving is the biggest back problems culprit

Postby Rupert » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:32 am

Thanks Jeanette for taking time and sharing your experience. It definitely is a wakeup call. I in particular find driving too inconvenient and am currently struggling to get the driver seat levelled. I am using a lumbar support. I drive a 2001 Toyota Camry and I have observed that Most driver seats for automatic transmission cars over time develop a tilt such as the left part of the driving seat gets lower than the right part. I beleive this is because the left leg pushes against the stationay footrest on the left but the right foot only heel touching the ground and the upper part is used to operate and the legs stays loose not pushing against and thus the right side seat stays normal.
As from the experience of most back bloggers the first step is to cut the activity that causes the pain, I am right now focussed on adjusting the driver seat making modifications to its level to get rid of the driving pain.

Thanks,
Rupert
Rupert

Postby randolph » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:53 am

Hello Rupert

Have you tried wearing a lumbar back brace while driving? Ken and I have both received great benefit from wearing one, especially while driving. I work as a truck driver and most of my pain and discomfort is eliminated by wearing the brace. I also keep a #10 can (of pineapple chunks, but I suppose it doesn't have to be pineapple ... just something heavy) near the gas pedal to rest my right foot on when in cruise control.

Ken got a high tech, high price unit ($80); I got mine from Wal-Mart ($25 for their best chinese-plastic version). I find it amazing that something so simple could be so very effective.

Good luck, and keep us posted on what works for you. I'd like to hear of anything else that might help you out.

Randolph
randolph

Thanks I would look for one at the walmart

Postby Rupert » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:40 am

Randolph,
thanks a lot i would look for one at the walmart.

Rupert,
PA
Rupert

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain