6 month progress report: round 2 with sciatica-saurus begins

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

Ouch

Postby krd » Wed May 24, 2006 6:56 am

Dean

I understand and that is why I waited to hear from you. Unfortunately, my sciatica is back in a big way. Thought it was going to be a small battle, but it looks like another long haul. Can't even do minor stretches yet. Thank God I have a hot tub. That thing helps me out in the morning. I will keep you all posted as to my progress in the coming days, weeks, months, whatever. Sciatica is an unbelievably painful condition. I would not wish this on my worst enemy. This time I can sit and sleep with no discomfort, however, I can't walk or stand very long. Sucks, huh. Be posting.

Ken
krd

Postby randolph » Wed May 24, 2006 8:46 am

Hi Ken

A blessing that you can sleep OK and apparently sit down to use the computer ... just where I started 5 weeks ago after my re-injury.

Bummer to have to learn to walk again. But I think from now on we will be much more careful not to do something that might re-re-injure ourselves. A few days ago caught myself getting ready to lift a 50 lb, 5 gallon bucket ... and left it for my wife to move. She was only too happy to take care of it ... especially without having to nag at me to NOT do it myself. I hope you have this support at home, Ken. Maybe one day, we'll be able to do that stuff again ... but for now ... we apparently can't push the envelope too hard.

Sounds like you're doing the right thing now ... focusing on pain relief and experimenting with the basic exercises again. Hopefully you'll find you bounce back faster this time ... just as I seem to be. It really helps to have muscles that are used to the stretches already ... though I assume you're probably dealing with some tight, back muscles that are still spaz-ing from the latest trauma. It took 3 weeks for my muscles to finally relax enough to stretch even a bit without pain.

Are you having to consider other treatment options besides conservative therapies like RYB? Or are you pretty confident that you just need to hunker down with the RYB exercises (and other conservative treatments like your inversion table that have helped in the past) and weather out this latest storm? It was helpful to me to educate myself to other treatment options (especially surgery) and see that the exercises were still my best option. Nothing is, of course, a 100% slam-dunk ... as we'd like to have ... but we can certainly make some decisions to keep ourselves on the right side of the percentages.

Please do keep us posted on your progress and any questions or considerations on your mind. There's a lot of helpful info out there and it's a constant challenge for me to keep searching, learning, exercising ... and not give up. I had other things I wanted to do, too, but this looks like our challenge for the time being!

Randolph
randolph

Thanks Buddy

Postby krd » Wed May 24, 2006 12:06 pm

Randolph
You know Randolf. I have so many friends that have had back surgery for similar problems. All of them have gone back for 2nd surgeries already and most of them only lasted 4 to 5 years. Even after surgery, the pain was still there, albeit, not as severe. I would only opt for surgery if there was absolutely no other choice. As for now, I am taking it very easy and the ice and hot tub are a God sent. I will keep up the faith for now and try to hang in there. I am a very optimistic person, and I am keeping that in my everyday look at this. Maybe I needed to slow down some... I am going to Scotland in July to play golf at the Old Course in St. Andrews. If it is not better by then, sight seeing will be the alternative. Either way, life is good. Hey thanks for always being there with your posts. I have seen some of your links and they are very informative. Keep up the RYB and I know that we will be celebrating again soon.

Ken
krd

Postby randolph » Wed May 24, 2006 5:54 pm

All very good to read, Ken, especially

St. Andrews :!: :!: WOW
randolph

Postby Jeanette » Sat May 27, 2006 5:00 pm

randolph wrote:After extensive research, I've studied the science of water polarity ... and have discovered a process to give other, beneficial polarities to the water. My water, when given in just teaspoonfuls to your favorite plants, prevents garden pixies and leprechauns from killing your roses and other valued landscape plants. E-mail me if you want to get in on the ground floor of this exciting MLM opportunity!

Randolph

:lol: Would it do anything for the deer? Like turn them into little white packages for my freezer? -- Jeanette
Jeanette

Re: Thanks Buddy

Postby Jeanette » Sat May 27, 2006 5:19 pm

krd wrote:...for now, I am taking it very easy and the ice and hot tub are a God sent. I will keep up the faith for now and try to hang in there. I am a very optimistic person, and I am keeping that in my everyday look at this. Maybe I needed to slow down some... Ken

Ken & Randolph -- I appreciate your sharing your "reinjury" experiences, painful as they are. Despite knowing what I should do, the urge to get out onto the property and lay into much needed spring cleanup is hard to resist. But reading your posts is a forceful reminder that reinjury is not unlikely if you take on too much too soon. Thanks for the slap up the side of the head that I need to resist the urge to keep going when I know I've hit my limits.

Much as I hate to admit it, I may have to look for someone to help me out some. My husband's back isn't much better than mine and I tend to take better care of mine :?

Take care, both of you.
Jeanette

Time to relax

Postby krd » Sun May 28, 2006 6:18 pm

Hey Jeanette

Sometimes it is hard for us to just relax and let the "healthy" backs do the work. However, it is important for us to try to remind ourselves how painful this sciatica can be and let the strong ones do the work. I am sure that this will pass. I live in the Philadelphia area and they just had a special on about backs. The doctor said that approximately 75% of all people will have a bout with a severe lower back problem sometime in their life. He also stated that if 100 people had xrays, approximately 25% would have herniated disks, and only a few would have back problems. The good news is that of all the people with back problems, only 1 to 2% will require surgery. He said that most back problems will eliviate on their own if the time allows. Most will take from 1 week to a few months. I am looking at this positively. Hang in there and remember that "this too shall pass."

Ken
krd

Fatherhood

Postby Kevin » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:47 am

Randolph, just sticking my 2 cents in...........I saw a t-shirt the other day and it said........." Fatherhood, the toughest job you'll ever love" Kids have a habit of growing like you feed them fertilizer..........regards, Kevin

I used to dream of Thomas the Tank Engine, the Power Rangers and spent countless hours building Legos.................
Kevin

Previous

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain