Forward pelvic tilt.

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

Forward pelvic tilt.

Postby rami939 » Mon May 15, 2006 3:06 pm

Hi there,
I realized that I'm suffering from a forward pelvic tilt after reading the book and doing some excersices,and wonder if any body can tell me some specific excercises or movements to stretch those muscles and ligaments on the the back.
I'm a machinist,and my job requires me to be standing for long periods of time.
I found that some exercises aleviate the pain,like the pelvic pinch "Laying on the floor";the knee-ups;the squats; the forward bend,and the roman chair.
I had some flare back pain about a week ago but now it subside again,and I would like to target those muscles.
My pain is located about where the kidneys are,some 3 inches away from the spine,and I don't have any legs pain associated with it.
Any help or advise will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
rami939

Re: Forward pelvic tilt.

Postby Jeanette » Mon May 15, 2006 5:36 pm

rami939 wrote:Hi there,
I realized that I'm suffering from a forward pelvic tilt after reading the book and doing some excersices,and wonder if any body can tell me some specific excercises or movements to stretch those muscles and ligaments on the the back....I had some flare back pain about a week ago but now it subside again,and I would like to target those muscles....Any help or advise will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Rami -- As I think Dean's books point out, you need to do more than just "target" the problem areas. It's the ole back-bone-is-connected-to-the-hip-bone song. Ultimately, you need to strengthen the entire area and, ideally, barring serious injury or debilitation, the entire body. Stretch and strengthen are opposite sides of the same coin. When you're strengthening one set of muscles, you're stretching a complementary set.

Once you get through an acute bout of pain or discomfort, you'll want to move on to the more comprehensive program. There really aren't any short cuts. Dean's books show you how.

Good luck.
Jeanette

Postby randolph » Tue May 16, 2006 6:07 am

Hello rami

Keeping in mind Jeanette's reminder of priority #1 to exercise the body as a whole ... my favorite combination of exercises to stretch and strengthen the back (especially good, I would think, after lots of standing like you do): cobra, situps&crunches, forward bends.

My favorite forward bend is done by lying on the back, then with legs straight, bringing legs over. If you can touch your toes while standing, you should be able to bring your legs all the way over, knees above your face ... but if you can't, just bring your legs over until you get a good stretch in your back. Because of the lying position, you can get even more stretch throughout your back than possible with the standing, forward bend. Then legs slowly back over, roll over ... and a minute or two of doing the cobra to balance the stretch.

I keep an exercise mat with me where I work so I can take a few minutes to stretch out every couple hours. The only comment I've ever gotten from others workers is, "gee, that looks like a good idea."

Good luck, Randolph
randolph

Return to Lower Back Pain