good info on surgery vs physical therapy for sciatica

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

good info on surgery vs physical therapy for sciatica

Postby randolph » Wed May 10, 2006 5:04 pm

It tooks months of surfing ... but finally found good data on effectiveness of various treatment options for sciatica (in addition to the marvellous sites in Dean's homepage Resources). Seems to verify the info in Dean's books.

The site is www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi? ... h&DB=books
once there, put "microdiscectomy sideeffects" in search box and GO. Info on acute low back pain should pop up. (At least it did for me when I double-checked to see if I could get back there!).

Three things jumped out at me, (though there's LOTS of neat stuff discussed). The following are my impressions of the data. If your impressions, differ, please correct me. I'm no medical professional; (the stuff is very difficult for me to read ... which is no surprise ... reading freeway signs is still a challenge after a million miles on the highway!)

First: accurate, and timely, medical diagnosis is absolutely vital to find out why the symptom of low back pain. There are a lot of health problems that announce themselves with back pain, that require a lot more aggressive treatment than physical therapy, that cannot be self-diagnosed, and should be treated ASAP. Simply trying physical therapy without having a very good idea of what is wrong, is an easily avoided risk ... a risk that I would not take if at all possible.

Second: garden-variey back problems, including herniated discs, respond equally well to surgery (especially micro-discectomy) or physical therapy, in the long run. Apparently 90% of those with acute back pain, report 4 and 10 years after the onset of symptoms, great improvement with either treatment option. And that 90% figure is based on tests of many thousands.

Third ... well there was a third when I began ... but just had a senior moment ... and I guess if you're interested you'll have to read the data yourself. Sorry :oops:

Sure would like to read more stuff like the above site. If anybody else has found good data like this, I'd sure like to go there!

Thanks, Randolph
randolph

Postby Dean » Sat May 13, 2006 3:31 pm

Thanks Randolph, that's a good link. I think I'll add it to the list the next time I update the Resources page.

Dean
Dean
Site Admin

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain