Hip Shrug increases sciatica pain. Good or bad?

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

Hip Shrug increases sciatica pain. Good or bad?

Postby thcuetara » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:58 pm

Hello everyone. I just downloaded Dean's book and am very glad to have discovered the site (via webmd). I have had a several month relapse of sciatica (only 1 other 2-3 month episode 2 years ago that resolved with time, ibuprofen, and leg stretches). I have left buttocks and hip pain, with variable pain down the back of the leg. Some numbing down the leg recently. The pain is generally worse when standing, as others have mentioned. The pain is sometimes quite intense, but generally tolerable and I have never missed work. I just started the exercises tonight, and the hip shrugs caused intense sciatica pain in the hip area. I am assuming from other posts that I should back off from any of the stretches that cause pain. Is this correct? Thanks so much Dean for the book and the website, and thanks in advance to anyone else for advice.
Taro.
thcuetara

Postby Bill » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:28 pm

Hi th,

Welcome to the group.

Yes, if an exercise is causing your pain to increase, then it is usually best to back off on that one and try it again later. Hope that answers your question.

Keep us posted on how it goes,
Bill
Bill

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain