unexpected benefit of neck exercises

Discussions related to Upper Back and Neck Pain

unexpected benefit of neck exercises

Postby randolph » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:14 pm

Hi y'all :D

I was very pleased to blunder upon an application of the neck exercises that seems to have solved a major nuisance problem I'd had while driving truck the last seven years: sore and tight shoulder/neck/upper body muscles after a few hours of driving. But I'm thinking you needn't be a driver to benefit ... anyone sitting for long periods, say, in front of computer screen, would also benefit.

Rather than wait for the tightness to develop, now, at least every 15 minutes while driving (helpful to have cruise control) I do a few minutes of the neck exercises and even twist and bend the spine in any way possible. With a little effort, it's amazing how much movement and stretching is possible while doing a safe and careful job driving. And not only can I drive longer and easier, if I find myself getting sleepy, often doing the exercises refreshes me.

Of course, better yet would be stopping the vehicle and getting out in the fresh air for a real break ... but there are days, like 2 days ago, when it's just impossible to stop if I want to make it on time :cry:

You would think that after years of driving, I'd have found out about this benefit of stretching and exercising. Maybe it's a male thing to consider exercising just to be a way to get stronger. So thanks Dean for the info that exercising also has a real, pain relief benefit!!

Now if I could just figure out how to get the truck to steer itself, I could do some real exercising and get paid while doing it :lol:
randolph

Postby Trina » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:50 pm

Hi randolph,

Thanks for the tip. I just got back from a long trip and you're advice worked wonders.

Trina
Trina

Return to Upper Back and Neck Pain