short leg....

Here's where you can discuss topics that don't exactly fit the above classifications.

short leg....

Postby Hugo Posh » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:29 am

A short leg is a very common problem and there are two types, a "functional short leg" or a "structural short leg". This is not a scam and there is plenty of medical research on the subject. A chiropractor is the only one that can tell you if you need chiropractic adjustments or not. A medical doctor simply doesn't understand the biomechanics of the spine as they do not get this type of training. Just like a chiropractor shouldn't be telling you what heart medication you should be on. A structural short leg will definitely cause abnormal wear and tear in the spine and pelvis; it also will cause muscular imbalances. Even an Orthopedic Surgeon (Medical Doctor) knows this and so do physical therapists. If you do not believe them then ask a podiatrist. It you are still skeptical with concern to chiropractic treatments then wait and do nothing. I will bet you your problem worsens and you develop abnormal wear and tear, muscular imbalances and abnormal curvature of the spine in the years to come.
Hugo Posh

Postby randolph » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:19 am

Hello Hugo

I am skeptical about the "short" leg diagnosis, and what follows explains why. I want to emphasize I am quite open to being educated about things, and appreciate your efforts to present information that cuts across the grain of some of our conceptions here. So please amaze with some facts I haven't encountered before!

First. I've visited two chiropractors in my life. Each gave me a shoe wedge to put in the shoe I wore on the "short" leg. A red flag went up in my head after the 2nd DC gave me the wedge for the leg the previous DC diagnosed as the longer leg. Hmmmmmmm.

Second. There's a lot of empirical evidence presented on chirobase.org that seems to indicate that the short leg diagnosis is frequently very subjective, and thus unreliable. Add the fact that most all of us have legs that are of unequal length, and it seems reasonable to me to conclude that this abnormality is as harmful as unequal nostril opening widths.

Of course, legs that differ in length by, say, an inch are an obvious problem. But when we are talking about a few mm, are we really talking about something harmful here?

Where am I thinking incorrectly, Hugo?

Thanks, Randolph
randolph

Postby Hugo Posh » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:07 am

A short leg that only is a few mm is not a concern. The method of analyzing a short leg (other than an x-ray) is very subjective and unreliable. That is why we use of x-rays with the patient standing to analyze the problem. Had a patient go to the ER for back pain, they shot films and the Radiologist told the mother her daughter had scoliosis, which was not the case. Films were taken with the patient lying on a table. She was just lying crooked. Same could happen for a short leg.

Again, two types of short legs as I mentioned earlier. A heel lift or wedge is only temporary for a functionally short leg. As for getting the two different approaches by two different chiropractors, I don't know what to tell you other than one of them misinterpreted the short side.
Hugo Posh

Return to General Health Topics