Lumbar traction unit does it help with herniated discs

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

Lumbar traction unit does it help with herniated discs

Postby DreamNFL » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:46 am

I was wondering what lumber traction unit is and does it help with herniation.
DreamNFL

Postby Paul » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:39 pm

Never heard of the term "lumbar traction unit."

Is it a device that you buy (if so, it's probably a rip-off) or are you referring to the traction tables used by some pain clinics?

I've seen the ads claiming that those traction tables "heal" herniated discs, but every one of those clinics I've seen is run by a chiropractor so let the buyer beware.

I do know one thing for certain, if you rebuild your back, you won't need anything else.

Wish I could be more help,
Paul
Paul

Re: Lumbar traction unit does it help with herniated discs

Postby Eric » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:53 pm

DreamNFL wrote:I was wondering what lumber traction unit is and does it help with herniation.

The concept of traction is to use external mechanical means to decompress the spine in an effort to promote the slipped or herniated disk back into place. It usually requires multiple sessions over time.

I would be hesitant to say I trust this procedure, be it VAX-D or PT. Traction methods STILL require following a home program of stretching and strengthening routines for maximum benefit . Knowing that you're likely to get better over time anyway, I don't see how anyone can gauge effectiveness if it's not immediate and long lasting.

I would be hesitant to look at traction as a 'short cut' to rehabilitation. I don't believe theres any such thing.

This is all just my opinion, if you do try it out, please post a followup on your experience. :D
Eric

Return to Lower Back Pain