longstanding foot/leg problem

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

longstanding foot/leg problem

Postby amIdoomed » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:43 pm

for over 12 months i have been unable to walk or stand more than 5 minutes at a time without numbness/pain in the top of my foot and sometimes in my leg

recently, my physio gave up on me

i have just discovered this site and the Rebuilding Your Back book

when i attempt the cobra i can't even lie down w/o numbness/tingling in my leg

the shifting of the hip discussed in Ch. 6 makes no difference - it may even be a little worse

should i try these exercises for a few days even though I feel the tingling?
i don't want to irriate things (nerves) and make things worse
if not, i don't think i can even start these exercises

any direction is most appreciated
amIdoomed

Postby Bill » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:28 am

Hi,

No, you're not doomed.

Definitely do the exercises. Don't worry about the symptoms, just concentrate on the solution. Read the other post in this forum especially all the posts by randolph and Jeanette.

Only stop specific exercises if the symptoms progressively grow worse following those specific exercises. You're on the right track, it may just take a little patience and experimentation to find what works for you.

This program has worked for too many people to give up after only a few days. It took years to get where you are. A couple months of rehab is nothing by comparison.

You will make it if you want to make it.

Bill
Bill

Hope Springs Eternal

Postby amIdoomed » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:36 pm

Thanks for your comments.
I shall soldier on - as well as I can - and report back any changes as I go through this process.
amIdoomed

Postby randolph » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:30 am

Hello "doomed"

I hope you're continuing to take Bill's advice, and do the exercises. For me, it's a very counter-intuitive thing, to both respect the pain as a boundary while doing the exercises, and challenge that boundary while pushing against it. My initial response to pain is to just rest and wait for it to go away ... which, as you have discovered, just doesn't work ... in fact, makes things stiffer and worse.

An encouraging thing to remember while your beginning with the exercises the first few months is that you're beginning and, for most, it only gets better from here. Sort of like when starting a diet that really, eventually works, you start from your heaviest, most discouraging weight. And another encouraging thing, when you see improvement (which you probably will, soon), your motivation to do the exercises will increase and intensify. Hope this helps with your "soldiering" efforts to keep on, keepin' on.
randolph

Dear not doomed

Postby Kevin » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:11 am

If you are in that much pain, you may want to at least get diagnosed so you know what you are up against. For instance, if it is a disc or sciatica problem, you will know, if it is a bone spur then that is different........

But until then certainly do the exercises...........

In my case I am getting an MRI and x-ray but not thinking surgery unless they tell me it is something other than a disc or sciatica problem where the exercises will be of no use and the only other option is surgery. If it is disc or sciatica I will do the exercises until the point of no return...........

Good luck,

Kevin
Kevin

An Update

Postby amIdoomed » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:49 am

In May I had surgery on L4 L5 to remove the part of the disc that was impinging on my nerve when I stood or walked.

It worked. I am back to 100% of what I was before and am grateful to those who correctly diagnosed me and performed the surgery.

Be well.
amIdoomed

Doomed

Postby Kevin » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:32 pm

That's great to hear. My MRI showed that my trouble is with the disc that I was operated on for which is now 80% scar tissue. It is apparently shrinking and I am getting bone on bone according to what the doc says. However, the previous two bulging discs that I had are apparently no longer herniated. So, I would definitely stick with the exercises.For sixteen years after my operation I did the original exercises given to me by therapy before finding RYB. With RYB my back feels much looser and relaxed.

Take care.

Kevin
Kevin

Postby randolph » Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:30 pm

Hello doomed

Glad you got back to us and reported on your successful operation (microdiscectomy?). What made you decide having the operation was your best option for recovery?

I hope you'll keep us appraised of any changes ... but certainly get back by New Years. In the meantime, are you doing any post-op PT, or made any changes to prevent reoccurence of sciatica?

Thanks, Randolph
randolph

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain