Mid/Upper Back and chest pain

Discussions related to Upper Back and Neck Pain

Mid/Upper Back and chest pain

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:27 pm

For about the past 12 months I have been getting aches in my mid to upper back just between my shoulder blades. The pain also radiates around to the front, often to just above the strenum at the front. When I sneeze, the pain level increases. Sleeping is also quite uncomfortable.

In the last year, I have been using a hard dining room chair to do office work quite a bit - up to 10 hours a day.

I also have a bad habit of laying on the floor at night...we used to have nice soft carpet and I would often put a thin matress on the floor for cushioning but now I generally use a blanket...the floors are now solid wood. I tend to fall asleep a lot on the floor and wake up in the early hours of the morning, laying on my side on the hard floor.

Could this all be causing my pain or could it be something more sinister? It is getting quite bad...

RobJ

Post by RobJ » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:57 pm

Any ideas anybone?

Ron

Post by Ron » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:13 pm

Hi Robj,

Welcome to the group.

I've read your question several times over the past couple of days thinking I will try to give you some kind of a response. But I really don't know were to start.

If you re-read your own question, I think you'll see what I mean.

If I said, "I've been wearing really uncomfortable shoes for the past year, do you think this is causing my foot problems?" What would your response be?

The answer is obvious:

Maybe.

The only way you'll ever know the answer to your question is to stop doing whatever it is you suspect as the cause and see if the problem goes away.

I suspect you have a simple injury such as a pulled muscle or torn ligament, but it could be any number of things. All of which leads to more questions:

1. Have you seen a doctor?
2. Have you read the articles about back pain on the main site?
3. Have you read Dean's neck (and upper back) book?
4. Have you tried other therapies?

The list could go on and on...
Ron

Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:59 pm

Hi Robj,

I sort of agree with Ron, I don't think there is a definitive answer any of us could give to your question. If you could tell us what you've tried or haven't tried it would help.

Dean

CB in Cincy

chest pain

Post by CB in Cincy » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:48 pm

Get your neck checked out before you wind up with some really hard-to-fix nerve damage. I had those same pains and went to the emergency room fearing heart attack or such. I was disgnosed with anxiety, given tranquilizers, and sent home but the pain wouldn't go away. It took them 7 months to finally take me seriously and MRI my neck. Severe stenosis had already taken its toll and damage would not have been so bad had it been addressed sooner. Have it checked out - please!

DrWill

Re: Mid/Upper Back and chest pain

Post by DrWill » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:36 am

Anonymous wrote:For about the past 12 months I have been getting aches in my mid to upper back just between my shoulder blades. The pain also radiates around to the front, often to just above the strenum at the front. When I sneeze, the pain level increases. Sleeping is also quite uncomfortable.

In the last year, I have been using a hard dining room chair to do office work quite a bit - up to 10 hours a day.

I also have a bad habit of laying on the floor at night...we used to have nice soft carpet and I would often put a thin matress on the floor for cushioning but now I generally use a blanket...the floors are now solid wood. I tend to fall asleep a lot on the floor and wake up in the early hours of the morning, laying on my side on the hard floor.

Could this all be causing my pain or could it be something more sinister? It is getting quite bad...
Guest -

What type of treatments have you tried? As a chiro, it almost sounds like you have a rib problem. With sneezing and pain radiating around to the front of the body to sternum sounds like the path of an upper back rib. I'd get some x-rays and make sure there is not fracture, dislocation or something more "sinister".

I'd also knock off the floor sleeping.... not a good idea. Also, make sure you are moving regularly during your long periods of office work. Make sure your workstation is not too low/high. Try a better "office" style chair with lumbar support.

Good luck,

DrWill