Another "newbie" with a herniated disk (L4/L5) and

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

Another "newbie" with a herniated disk (L4/L5) and

Postby SnoMan6174 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:05 pm

Hello. Nice website..and I will be buying the book soon. I am a 49 year old male who was just diagnosed (MRI) with a herniated disk after years of degenerative disk disease. To me it is not really "pain" so much as a tightening in my lower back. It feels like a lead pipe has replaced my once flexible and athletic back. I am a tennis player and snow skier here in Colorado and I love these sports. I have had to restrict my participation in both. I still ride my bike, but running is out and trips to the gym have dropped to almost nothing. I work at a desk all week and I (used?) to look forward to the weekends of tennis (summer) and skiing (winter). Also, how much does the right bed factor in? Anyone know about these "sleep number" beds? Thanks for any/all help.[/b]
SnoMan6174

Postby Paul » Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:21 pm

Hi Snoman,

Welcome to the group. I've heard of those sleep number beds, but I don't really know much about them other than you can adjust the firmness with air pressure. Might be something worth looking into.

As far as mattresses go, everything I've read just recommends a firm one that will support your back. Wish I could be more help.

Paul
Paul

Postby Erika » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:04 pm

Hi,

We looked into those sleep number beds and decided they were just an overpriced gimmick. We just bought a good firm Sealy and we're happy with it.

Erika
Erika

Postby Karen » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:59 am

Hi! I am a neebie too, and also have a herniated disc.

I know what ya mean about missing out on being (as) active!
It is really tough as exercise grows to be a release and a way of life...the good thing is that we are not sitting back saying "woah is me" and we have found this awesome site and have ordered the book.

It is so cool to have a chance to be able to chat with others who know exactly what you are going through.

About the bed thing, I have a "back friendly Sealy" and hate it...the floor is a beautiful thing lately.

Good Luck with everything, Karen S.
Karen

Postby Mike12 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:49 pm

We've had a Sealy for the past five years. In my last bout with the bulging disc, my wife bought a 2" piece of viscous foam for a mattress topper. It does help with support for the back and is a cheaper alternative to the Temperpedic mattress.
Mike12

sleep number bed

Postby strongback » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:02 am

I have a sleep number bed....and thank God!!! I wouldn't trade it for a million dollars. My back never bothers me and I get a great nights rest. Never thought it would be this good. It was recommended by someone I know and I was reluctant to spend the cash, but I'm so glad I did. Don't knock it unless you've tried it.
strongback

Re: sleep number bed

Postby mickey » Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:24 pm

strongback wrote:I have a sleep number bed....and thank God!!! I wouldn't trade it for a million dollars. My back never bothers me and I get a great nights rest. Never thought it would be this good. It was recommended by someone I know and I was reluctant to spend the cash, but I'm so glad I did. Don't knock it unless you've tried it.
.........do you work for sleep number bed ???is your name lindsay wagner???like another has stated,,,its a gimmick....a firm mattress is the best bet if you have back trouble
mickey

Re: sleep number bed

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:25 pm

strongback wrote:I have a sleep number bed....and thank God!!! I wouldn't trade it for a million dollars. My back never bothers me and I get a great nights rest. Never thought it would be this good. It was recommended by someone I know and I was reluctant to spend the cash, but I'm so glad I did. Don't knock it unless you've tried it.
...........sleep number=air adjustable mattress..i.e.gimmick

Postby Steven » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:20 pm

Hi everybody,

I had a chance to sleep on a sleep number bed about a year ago and I must say it was very comfortable. I don't think it would solve anyone's back problems unless they were sleeping on a really crummy mattress to begin with ... and then any good mattress (or even the floor like Karen said) would do the same thing.

As you all know, I don't have back problems anymore, so I'm perfectly happy with the mattress we have. However, if we were in the market for a new one, I would consider trying one out again.

Steven
Steven

Return to Lower Back Pain