Page 1 of 1

lower lumbar strain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:37 pm
by guest
i was told i have lower lumbar strain. told by doctor that nothing can be done about it. all it takes for me is to just bend over, no lifting or twisting. now i have just a nagging ache in my back constantly. any ideas? thanks! :)

Re: lower lumbar strain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:27 am
by DrWill
guest wrote:i was told i have lower lumbar strain. told by doctor that nothing can be done about it. all it takes for me is to just bend over, no lifting or twisting. now i have just a nagging ache in my back constantly. any ideas? thanks! :)


With a lumbar strain.... they are usually short term and will tend to respond to simple stretching, NSAIDS and ice. If you've had the pain for more than a few weeks with no relief (or getting worse) - its likely not a strain. You would be best served seeking a healthcare professional.

Good luck,

DrWill

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:48 pm
by barb
thanks for your response. i get severe pain about once a year and it lasts about a week. i was given stretching exercises and pain relivers and muscle relaxers. maybe i should keep doing the exercises. i was also told that working in the cold may have an effect on my back as well. don't know what else to do. :? thanks for any info!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:11 am
by DrWill
barb wrote:thanks for your response. i get severe pain about once a year and it lasts about a week. i was given stretching exercises and pain relivers and muscle relaxers. maybe i should keep doing the exercises. i was also told that working in the cold may have an effect on my back as well. don't know what else to do. :? thanks for any info!


Hey Barb -

What does get severe pain once a year mean? Is it something you can track on the calendar - or something environmental. How do you work in the cold?

If you could give me more info I'll do my best to give you an opinion!!

Good luck -

DrWill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:15 pm
by barb
i can't say that it is an envirionmental thing, but usually once a year i get an "attack". i work in a refrigerated and damp processing plant. i was told that maybe the cold and damp conditions may be a contributing factor. maybe it's just my luck?! :) thanks for your input Dr.Will !!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:53 am
by DrWill
barb wrote:i can't say that it is an envirionmental thing, but usually once a year i get an "attack". i work in a refrigerated and damp processing plant. i was told that maybe the cold and damp conditions may be a contributing factor. maybe it's just my luck?! :) thanks for your input Dr.Will !!


Hey Barb -

I cant say that I have ever known of a damp/cold conditions to be a mitigating cause for back pain. Perhaps the type of work you do? Physical work I would assume? I'd bet the type of work you do in a processing plant would be more of a back pain instigator than the environment. What has your MD, DC, PT told you about your pain?

DrWill

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:38 pm
by barb
my doctor told me that there was nothing that can be done about the pain. it happens without warning. mostly, all i've done was just bend over (like tying my shoes) and next thing i know, BAM! pain. my job at the time was standing in one place on concrete with only a thin (1-1 1/2") piece of rubber mat to stand on. now i move around move and i am now out of the damp and into a warmer department of the same company. i guess i'll keep taking advil when my back starts to get achy :) thanks Dr. Will for your input!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:44 pm
by Steven
Hi barb,

Read Dean's articles on back pain especially this one:

Blueprint for a Bad Back

Then get Dean's book, Rebuild Your Back and just take care of the problem.

You won't need the advil anymore because you won't keep injuring your back.

Steven

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:35 am
by DrWill
barb wrote:my doctor told me that there was nothing that can be done about the pain. it happens without warning. mostly, all i've done was just bend over (like tying my shoes) and next thing i know, BAM! pain. my job at the time was standing in one place on concrete with only a thin (1-1 1/2") piece of rubber mat to stand on. now i move around move and i am now out of the damp and into a warmer department of the same company. i guess i'll keep taking advil when my back starts to get achy :) thanks Dr. Will for your input!


Has your doctor given you any sort of diagnosis? Idiopathic backpain? Do you have disc problems or a scoliosis? I would definately search for some type of treatment as soon as you can. Advil IS NOT TREATMENT! Dont, even for a second, think you can treat your back or any type of ailment with advil. It's not therapeutic, its only a pain reliever. There are side effects to it, especially long term usage of it. Dont ignore your back problem - dont take your doctors word for it - seek a 2nd, 3rd or 4th opinion. For a doctor to simply say "there's nothing we can do for it" is wrong. Unless you have some serious disease causing your pain - there should be some type of treatment for it.

Good luck and keep us posted!

DrWill

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:49 pm
by barb
thanks to Steven and Dr. Will for your input. the blueprint for a bad back sounds like me. as far as any disc problems, i've had an x-ray done and no signs of any disc problems. as far as scoliosis(sp) i don't know. maybe i'll say something to my doctor the next time i see him. again, thanks for the advice :)

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:23 am
by DrWill
barb wrote:thanks to Steven and Dr. Will for your input. the blueprint for a bad back sounds like me. as far as any disc problems, i've had an x-ray done and no signs of any disc problems. as far as scoliosis(sp) i don't know. maybe i'll say something to my doctor the next time i see him. again, thanks for the advice :)


Good luck Barb - remember, keep us posted. I have no doubt the protocol Dean describes in his book would certainly help you - give it a shot. Just be certain there is nothing else going on which is causing your back pain. Whenever I try to find the cause of back pain in patients, while usually musculoskeletal in nature, you always have to play the "rule out" game. Rule out: cancer, fracture, endocrine disease, neurological disease - all the biggies essentially. This is a job for your doctor, just make sure he/she has done it. You'd be surprised how often back pain can be referred pain from an internal organ. Gall bladder, liver, intestines, kidney can all give some sort of back pain - those are fairly rare though especially considering the frequency of back pain.

Good luck again!

DrWill