Page 1 of 1

TMS question

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:34 am
by Seann
TMS seems to come up a lot in this forum. I looked into it via Google (can't find the book locally) and I appear to be a possible candidate based on the questionaires I found.

I've shown progress using the RYB program and am confident I'm headed in the right direction using such. Here's my question- Is it possible to have physical AND emotional factors contributing to my problem?

From what I've read it seems to be an either/or type scenario. I don't intend to quit the RYB program but do wonder if I shouldn't track down Dr. Sarno's book and tackle any emotional aggregates I may have at the same time.

Any insight would be helpful. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:04 pm
by Todd
Seann,
That is exactly what I’m doing right now. I was doing RYB for about six weeks and wasn’t getting the results I was hoping for. But when I read about TMS and started working on my mind body connection as well things are progressing much faster now. Part of what Dr Sarno teaches is that when the TMS pain beings to subside you are to begin a slow return to normal activity, so “normal” activity for me is RYB. Today I had a pain free moment and I keep progressing even further week to week. I don’t think it hurts at all to approach any problem from all aspects and then find what works the best.

Good Luck.

Re: TMS question

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:02 pm
by Admin
Seann wrote: Here's my question- Is it possible to have physical AND emotional factors contributing to my problem?


I would say yes, it's very possible to have both a physical and emotional factor involved in your back pain especially if it's been going on for a long time.

I don't agree with everything that Dr Sarno says in his book (he's very dogmatic) but his overall theory and approach to dealing with pain is definitely worthy of consideration.

You just have to read him with an open mind and take what he says with a grain of salt.

Your local public library should be able to get a copy for you through inter-library loan. Just ask them to find: Healing Back Pain by Dr. John Sarno.

Dean

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:27 am
by Seann
Thank you both for your input. I'll find the book and give it a shot

Todd, I'm glad to hear your finally getting some relief from your pain. Stick with it and keep us posted.

Dr.Dean, your program has given me very good results where everything else (the list would crash your server, so I'll leave it out) has failed.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:56 am
by randolph
Hi Seann

Look for any of the last three books Dr. Sarno has written since early 90's. They all have the essentials of his theories and treatment recommendations. I've read MindBody Prescription, and Healing Back Pain; I liked the former, better, but learned all I needed from reading the latter, first. I found my copies at the local library, and local Barnes and Noble. His latest book, The Divided Mind, just came out in paperback; haven't read it, but it comes highly recommended by his devotees on the TMS website (surprise ...). I also echo Dean's caveats for reading and utilizing what Dr. Sarno recommends.

I found the RYB program (with some additional exercises from Dr. Stuart McGill), very helpful during the acute stage of my sciatica adventure. After recovering most of my physical function, I still had some minor disability that has been resolved the last four months since using some of Dr. Sarno's recommendations. I personally think his theories for the physiological basis for TMS are largely unverified speculation ... but a few of his actual treatment recommendations worked for me. The one idea I got from him that made all the difference for me was that after a year from the initial injury that started the sciatica symptoms, I was most likely physically healed, and my physcial disability was therefore, likely psychosomatic in origin. Working with that gave me the confidence to challenge myself much more than I thought possible. So, in my case, there was definitely a physical and psychosomatic (I wouldn't use the word "emotional") foundation to my sciatica. I suspect, for many sciatica sufferers, there is a combination of both. And, like Dean wrote, the more chronic the symptoms, the more worthy the TMS diagnosis is of consideration.

Randolph

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:09 am
by Woodchuck
randolph wrote:Hi Seann

Look for any of the last three books Dr. Sarno has written since early 90's. They all have the essentials of his theories and treatment recommendations. I've read MindBody Prescription, and Healing Back Pain; I liked the former, better, but learned all I needed from reading the latter, first. I found my copies at the local library, and local Barnes and Noble. His latest book, The Divided Mind, just came out in paperback; haven't read it, but it comes highly recommended by his devotees on the TMS website (surprise ...).

Randolph


I really would recommend his latest THE DIVIDED MIND as it is more complete than the others and includes suggestions on specific things you can do including journaling. Glad it is now out in paperback. I couldn't wait and bought the hardcover one ;) . I really like HEALING BACK PAIN, but it kind of left me hanging with, what do I do now? I don't recall picking up anything particularly new in MINDBODY PRESCRIPTION.

Ken

P.S. - I would say too that I don't understand exactly how TMS works. I'm not sure anyone has been able to measure the mechanics of it sufficiently to give proof positive, but all I need to know is that it does work for some people and rapidly with some, as in my case. That's all the proof I need, or care to have, at this point. Also, once a person has gotten a handle on TMS and is pain-free, I think it may be a mistake to then linger on a help forum such as the TMSHelp.com forum. Many people seem to hang around there and stay focused on the physical and their pain continues. And, if their pain is not TMS, then I would stay active here on the RYB forum which is a great help to many sufferers!

Re: TMS question

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:12 pm
by Maracuja
Seann wrote:TMS seems to come up a lot in this forum. I looked into it via Google (can't find the book locally) and I appear to be a possible candidate based on the questionaires I found.

I've shown progress using the RYB program and am confident I'm headed in the right direction using such. Here's my question- Is it possible to have physical AND emotional factors contributing to my problem?

From what I've read it seems to be an either/or type scenario. I don't intend to quit the RYB program but do wonder if I shouldn't track down Dr. Sarno's book and tackle any emotional aggregates I may have at the same time.

Any insight would be helpful. Thanks.


I recommend Dr. Sarno's book. Go to Amazon and look for The Mindbody Prescription: Healing the Body, Healing the Pain. My friend heard about this book on the Howard Stern Radio Show. The book is awesome, It really explains TMS. I believe most of us live with TMS, but this book explains why and once you understand it you will see why it is possible to have physical and emotional factors contribute to health problems.