quick update

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

quick update

Postby Seann » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:31 pm

Day four on the program. I'm sticking to the basic excercises prescribed in the book.

Yesterday was my first day without throbbing leg pain in years. The pain did return to some extent by the end of the day, but that's OK; I'll take what I can get.

The pain in my back has intensified a little, but I'm noticing it in different areas than I had before. According to the book this is normal, so I'm not worried.

Another day without leg pain today. Hopefully this will stick. I actually spent time outside in my yard after work instead of heading straight for the coach with beer in hand.

the muscles in my butt were sore when I woke up today, I'm assuming from all the stretching. It's noticeable but not unbearable,so I'm not going to change anything I'm doing at this point.

I'm excited by the prospect of finally living a pain free life. Hopefully I don't get smacked down like I have so many times in the past.

That's it. Hope this gives people a little inspiration to not give up.

Back pain sucks.
Seann

Postby Steven » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:38 am

Hi Seann,

Thanks for the updates. Keep us posted on your progress.

Steven
Steven

Postby Seann » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:27 am

Thanks Steve.

It's been a week now.

My sciatica has all but gone away, still get the occaisonal throb in the backof my legs (which scares the hell outof me cause I think the problem is returning ) but they are always short lived. It is SO nice not having this pain stacked on top of the LBP.

I have to believe the Cobra is the key to my success so far. Up till now any excercise regimen I've been on, prescribed by Drs or myself based on research, has failed to involve the backwards stretching; always forward. Whe I first got down to perform the technique I couldn't get my shoulders more than 3" off the ground. After a week I'm diong the full cobra without any problem.

My lumbar pain is still present as of now. I'm hoping a few more weeks of the intermediate excercises coupled with being very careful what I do will result in a change here.

It is a lot easier to keep with a program when you actually see results, especially when they happen as quickly as they have with this one.
Seann

Postby randolph » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:45 pm

Hi Seann

Sounds like you're improving (suffering less from chronic pain) doing the same thing that's worked for me: gradually pushing the limits of what I've done previously, especially when the occassional throbs of pain scare me. When I let the fear curtail my activity, I developed unnecessary disability; but when I challenged the fear by pushing beyond what the fear said I could do, I invariably did much more than I thought I could do, and continued to improve.

I suppose we're learning a new response to an old pain. Used to be, when the pain came, we would crawl back to the couch and accept the disability. But now we know we can challenge both the pain, and the fear that says we have to "baby our backs".

Glad to read of your success!

Randolph
randolph

Postby Seann » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:36 pm

OK- Three weeks in. I've stuck with the program as best as I can (work and kids, I'm sure most of you can relate).

I'm definitely in better condition now than I was a month ago. I'm still on the beginning stretches, focusing on the cobra, hip shrug and side bend. I'm also terribly conscious of my posture no matter what I'm doing. Some sciatica still present and also some of the lower back pain, but my left leg doesn't go numb anymore.

I'm noticing the muscles in my lower back are horribly weak from lack of use so I can't wait to get into the next level of the program.

I actually spent the weekend with my son on a scouting trip. A month ago I would have had to pass on this; thanks Dr. Dean. My legs did ache by day's end, but I was able to keep up. Also, I slept in a tent and was actually able to get up and function in the morning. Friggin incredible.

So, I believe I'm about ready for level two. I'm a little hesitant for fear of undoing anything I've fixed to this point, but hey, no pain no gain , right?

Thanks everyone for your notes of encouragement, they definitely make the recovery process more bearable.
Seann

Postby redshoes » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:31 am

HI Seann-

Thanks for all you messages. I am on day with the program. Like you I never had any exersies bend backwrds, and i think cobra is the key to getting better. I am still in pain but it is tolerable and I think I can handle it with the exercises without medication. I did contact a pyhsiatrist--in another town there are none in this town. I'm hoping he will recommend PT. My family Dr said no more PT. I found it was the only thing that seemed to help. She reco9mmended chiropractic and I have read all the comments about it plus know my insurance won't cover it. I have actually had to pay for PT out of pocket in the past because insurance refused to authorize more but that is last year. Now that I have had an MRI I think a PT can better help. In the meantime-who knows I may be able to heal myself just doing Deans exercises. i do have concerns about how much to do and how much any normal life activities to take on and when. I really want to get back to dancing. Dean's hip shsrug is the same motion that I use in latin dance (rumba and cha cha). I have done cobra and the cat stretch in yoga but never knew it could be so beneficial. also the exercise where you lay on you back and bring your knees up to your chest. this is what my yoga teacher called "wind removing". As you can imagine by the name it is also useful for another purpose. Thanks to all of you--especailly Dean for having this forum.
redshoes

Postby cygnet » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:21 am

Hi Redshoes,

I'm just curious - why would your doctor not want you to do PT anymore? I can't imagine it would make things worse...

I'm glad to hear that you're seeing some improvements from the RYB program.

Leigh :)
cygnet

Postby randolph » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:27 am

Hi Seann

As you increase your exercizing GRADUALLY, doing more and different movements, there may very well be days when you do too much ... and the next day it hurts, maybe so bad you think you've really hurt yourself (more than just minor muscle strain), and you're back to square 1, again. But not to worry ... if indeed you're mostly healed, physically, you'll bounce back in a day or two.

If you don't bounce back fairly quickly, don't be afraid to dramatically cut back for a week or two to let the body heal some more, then go for it again. The exercises will be much more fun and less painful, too.

Randolph
randolph

Postby Seann » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:22 pm

Thanks Randolph-
I've transitioned into level two of the program, like you said, gradually. So far, so good. I'm actually having periods of relief from the pain, which is a Godsend. I'm sleeping much better and don't wake up stiff and achy like I used to (unless I roll on my stomache while sleeping, that still caused much pain in my lower back). For the most part my legs don't ache while walking (and climbing stairs, man I hate stairs) and my attitude has definitely improved. The one thing I'm noticing, however, is that with the lessening pain and improved mobility I find myself pushing the limits of what I should be doing and have to force myself to slow down so as not to send myself into remission.
So, I believe I'm on the road to recovery finally.

One quick question. From what I gather reading the book and perusing the forum, popping from joints is not an issue if there is no pain. My lower back and SI joint have been popping occaisonally while I stretch. No pain, but this has never happened before. I'm sure it's a matter of things finally loosening up, but can someone confirm that this isn't a bad sign? I still worry about pushing things too far and hurting myself.

Thanks.
Seann

Return to Lower Back Pain