Morning Stiffness

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

Morning Stiffness

Postby Dabonza » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:00 am

Hi everyone, new to this forum. (Edited by admin.)

Ive had sciatica and problems with my back for six months, (I am 26) due to a disc protrusion. Much like a lot of people. my two cents here are
GO SWIMMING once, again GO SWIMMING my osteopath recommended it and it has improved me so much. I hate i t at first going by myself and not being able to swim. But i hung in there and observed all the old fokes lapping. Now I have taught myself to swim and can do 22 laps, honestly do breastroke or freestyle or any stroke, the weightlessness in the water is very helpfull. My back is SOOOO much better but I have one more enemy.

My question is about morning sitffness. Does it dissapear with time? I am still saw in the mornings but come about lunchtime I can bend and touch my toes. I refuse to take any drug or pain relief (stubborn me). I know there's people out there with pain ALL day but if someone who has recovered. Does the morning sitffness go away eventually?? any ideas??
Dabonza

Postby Dean » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:08 pm

Hi Dabonza,

First, let me welcome you to the group. Your advice to start swimming is a good suggestion.

On the question of your morning stiffness...

I assume you realize that it could be caused by any number of "normal" things... such as the mattress you sleep on.

If it is a result of your back injury, it will go away as your back heals and you go about rebuilding it. As I mention in the book, the exercises can make some people stiff the next day. This is unusual, since the exercises are so "wimpy" (as Randolph would say)... but it can happen.

I never wake up with a stiff back and I'm not as young as you are. So there's a good chance you will see this problem resolve over time.

Dean
Dean
Site Admin

rephrase

Postby Dabonza » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:15 am

Sorry I should re-phrase my question better.

What I meant was, has anyone out there who has already recovered from a S1 L5 disc protrusion (disc bulge) had the symptom of being inflexible in the mornings but proggressed throughout the day? and if so how long did it take to go away? Will it ever go away? any tips?

Ive been healing (only actively for 3 months) for nearly 5 months and Im worried about the fact that Im sore in the mornings (muscle inflammation and stiffness in the back and hamstrings) but come afternoon it is as if I never had a back condition.

I just wanted to understand why when I rest this happens. The way I see it is:

The disc is not bulged anymore because my range of motion is better, therefore shouldnt the inflammation subside and the muscles benefit from rest??

I have a relatively new mattress (6 months old) and I sleep on my side with a pillow between my knees.

I dont understand the way muscle inflammation occurs through injury in detail, if someone could explain it to me I would be grateful.

Sorry for long post but the only stupid questions are the ones I dont ask

Thanks
Dabonza

Postby randolph » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:13 am

Hi Dabonza

I'm not sure this relates to the stiffness you are concerned about, but here goes.

I've been active all my 54 years (15 months sciatica L5-S1 disc herniation, and am almost 100% recovered), and every morning I wake up relatively stiff. Always have. Most of this goes away after the first few minutes of getting out of bed. Before I exercise, I stretch. After exercising, I stretch again and notice I am almost always much more flexible after doing my running or weightlifting than I was before. Don't know why, just notice this is just the way it happens. I seem to wake up more stiff, the longer I've gone without vigorous exercise.

My understanding of inflammation is that it's part of the process of physcial healing. The body sends more blood than usual to the area of injury as part of the process of healing the injury (thus the swelling). In most cases this is not a problem, and your idea of resisting taking drugs to reduce the swelling is well-founded. But if the inflammation is also accompanied by excessive pain, it does seem to help to take anti-inflammatory meds to reduce the inlammation to reduce the pain. But again, take the meds only to reduce the pain, not the swelling. And, in general, it promotes healing to reduce physical activity during the acute stage of injury and healing. But only REDUCE activity. Complete rest seems to increase the amount of time it takes to recover complete function.

Again, I don't know if I've addressed your concerns, but, by all means, please keep asking questions.

Randolph
randolph

Re: Morning Stiffness

Postby Jules Perth W. Australia » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:30 am

Dabonza wrote:Hi everyone, new to this forum. (Edited by admin.)

Ive had sciatica and problems with my back for six months, (I am 26) due to a disc protrusion. Much like a lot of people. my two cents here are
GO SWIMMING once, again GO SWIMMING my osteopath recommended it and it has improved me so much. I hate i t at first going by myself and not being able to swim. But i hung in there and observed all the old fokes lapping. Now I have taught myself to swim and can do 22 laps, honestly do breastroke or freestyle or any stroke, the weightlessness in the water is very helpfull. My back is SOOOO much better but I have one more enemy.

My question is about morning sitffness. Does it dissapear with time? I am still saw in the mornings but come about lunchtime I can bend and touch my toes. I refuse to take any drug or pain relief (stubborn me). I know there's people out there with pain ALL day but if someone who has recovered. Does the morning sitffness go away eventually?? any ideas??
Jules Perth W. Australia

Re: Morning Stiffness

Postby Jules Western Austtralia » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:03 am

Dabonza wrote:Hi everyone, new to this forum. (Edited by admin.)

Jules Western Austtralia

Postby Seann » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:02 am

Hi Dabonza-

I've had the same problem in the past. Some mornings it would take me 10 minutes just to get out of bed and even then I wuold walk around for another 15 minutes hanging onto walls and looking like I had a pole stuck up my a** :shock: !!

A couple of things I've noted over the years in relation to this:

-What do you do throughout the day? I found the more active I was the more stiff I would be the next morning. Cruelly enough, the same would happen with inactivity, so I had to keep active but at a moderate level. Too much walking or lifting are big aggravators.

-I also am hesitant to take medication, especially if I know it's not doing any good, however a few ibuprofen before bed would help a little as well, especially if I know I've over done it that day.

-A nice hot bath before bed was always good for me. I absolutely hate taking baths, but it's the only time I ever experience relatively no pain.

-I can't sleep on my stomach. This causes my back to tighten up really bad and I wake up in excruciating pain. I don't have an explanation for this.

You don't mention if you are currently on the Rebuild your Back plan. If not I recommend it. I've been on the plan a week now and although not cured yet, I have had a significant relief in my sciatica and am not stiff when I wake up in the morning.

If this is all the excercises fix it will still be more than any medication or round of physical therapy has ever achieved.

Hope this helps you out some.
Seann

Re: rephrase

Postby abhi » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:04 am

Hi Dabonza,

I hope you must have recovered from the back problem. After reading your description it looks like i am facing the same issue, and i am also 26 yrs of age, same L5 S1 disc protrusion, morning stiffness, and sometime pain somewhere deep inside towards right side hip, though its not as severe but quite irritating and i had days when for sometime it was tough to even walk. Can you please suggest what should i do, will i be able to recover as its been a while 4 months i am facing this issue.

Dabonza wrote:Sorry I should re-phrase my question better.

What I meant was, has anyone out there who has already recovered from a S1 L5 disc protrusion (disc bulge) had the symptom of being inflexible in the mornings but proggressed throughout the day? and if so how long did it take to go away? Will it ever go away? any tips?

Ive been healing (only actively for 3 months) for nearly 5 months and Im worried about the fact that Im sore in the mornings (muscle inflammation and stiffness in the back and hamstrings) but come afternoon it is as if I never had a back condition.

I just wanted to understand why when I rest this happens. The way I see it is:

The disc is not bulged anymore because my range of motion is better, therefore shouldnt the inflammation subside and the muscles benefit from rest??

I have a relatively new mattress (6 months old) and I sleep on my side with a pillow between my knees.

I dont understand the way muscle inflammation occurs through injury in detail, if someone could explain it to me I would be grateful.

Sorry for long post but the only stupid questions are the ones I dont ask

Thanks
abhi

Return to Lower Back Pain