decompression

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

decompression

Postby Bonnie » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:49 pm

I have been going to a head and neck clinic to reduce the pain and problems resulting from a herniated lumbar disc.
They use a computer, connected to a harness that is attached to the patient (me) and it stretches me for 30 seconds then releases, and this continues for 30 minutes.
It is suppose to help the herniated disc go back into place by opening the space between the vertebrae where the herniation is located and to create a "vacuum" that helps the herniated disc go back into place.
The treatment is covered by insurance under physical therapy.
I don't see any changes after 8 visits and wonder if anyone knows the success of this kind of treatment or if it's a rip off.
Does anyone have any information about this?
Appreciate any and all help :D
Bonnie

Postby John » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:50 am

Hi Bonnie,

What you're describing used to be called VAX-D and it's a total rip off. The VAX-D place in my town went out of business not long ago despite all their TV ads claiming they were curing bad backs.

They dazzle you with a big fancy hi-tech looking machine that is nothing more than old fashioned traction. Traction is one way to decompress the spine and sometimes that can help reduce the pain of a herniated disk, but it is only temporary. It doesn't fix the real problem.

Decompression alone will not fix your back problem.

Hope that answers your question,
John

(By the way, you posted your question in the wrong place. I'll try to get Dean or somebody to move your post to the low back pain section where you'll probably get more answers.)
John

The Back Revolution

Postby Ollie3 » Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:18 am

I ran across an inversion-type machine called the Back Revolution. It's listed in the back of the Andersen book Stretching. It lets you flip forward into a knees-bent hanging position. It runs about $400--there are variations available for less. Can this, or any other inversion method help with decompression and be beneficial? :?
TIA,
--Ollie
Ollie3

Postby caitie » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:27 am

Wow. im really interested in that..Vax-d. How much does it cost? Maybe it just doesnt work for some people, right now i would try anything even just for temporary relief. Where about do you live? Do they have it in Australia? Write back please. ta. caitie
caitie

Return to Lower Back Pain