herniated disc between L4 and L5

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

herniated disc between L4 and L5

Postby sjaltman » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:07 pm

What are the best exercises for this diagnosis? my doc says no flexion. I am doing all the exercises in dean's program except the flexion (like sit-ups, knee ups, forward bend). Does anyone have any experience with this and what are the most helpful exercises for it? i'm not sure about which of the mobilization exercises/basic exercises are appropriate. also i'm not sure about the leg lifts. thanks.
sjaltman

Postby Steven » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Hi sj,

If your doctor told you not to do something, it would be irresponsible for any of us in the group to advise you differently.

He has more information about your condition than we do, so we just have to assume he has a reason for those instructions.

For my situation, all of the exercises were appropriate.
Steven
Steven

Extensions only....

Postby krd » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:10 pm

Hey SJ

I too have a herniated disk L4-L5. My PT would only allow me to do extensions for the first 4 weeks. Then he mildly would allow me to do some flexion exercises. One leg chair bends in the beginning. I am now doing knee to chest, hamstring, etc. Listen to your Dr., but more importantaly, listen to your body. Good Luck.

Ken
krd

currently

Postby sjaltman » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:18 pm

thanks guys. i was doing all of dean exercises for about a month. very recently my back pain accelerated very intensely and very suddenly so i stopped everything. i started spinal decompression on the DRX... machine. I tried oral prednisone (didn't work) my next step is a shot of cortizone.
sitting is absolutely the worst. which makes getting to my decompression appointments not so much fun.
the back pain originally started in May.
the doc also said i have the straightest spine he's ever seen which is also not so good for my discs.
i am just wanting some pain relief. i am hoping for some success with the DRX--it usually takes a couple of weeks to see results.
good luck everyone,
Sara
sjaltman

Postby randolph » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:53 pm

Hi Sara

I've recovering from almost total inability to flex forward at all, 14 months ago. Presently have regained maybe 50% of former ability to flex (e.g. can now bend forward and touch the center of my shins).

I think you're doctor is on the right track to recommend eliminating movements that flex your spine forward very much at all for a while. And movements like leg lifts that place a lot of compressing stress on your lower back are definitely a No-No for now. It's very helpful to try and do everything with a "nuetral" spine, letting other body parts bear the load so stresses are minimized on the back and healing is maximized.

Randolph
randolph

Return to Lower Back Pain