disc protrusion

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

disc protrusion

Postby tlc » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:56 am

Hi, I came upon this site while researching sciatica. I've had sciatica with some tingling and weakness in my calf/foot. I just found out I have a disc protrusion causing pressure on the nerve root. Since I'm brand new at this I'm wondering what it means. My doctor hasn't told me anymore than that except that he is consulting with a spine surgeon (I had surgery to remove a benign bone tumor in the distal tibia in March-the being on crutches for 9 weeks and then limping and then overdoing it must have contributed). I'm not sure what is safe to do or not or what can cause more damage. I have downloaded Dean's books but I'm worried about trying anything. I've always been really active so this is a blow and makes me a bit anxious! Any suggestions, tips, advice? Thanks!
tlc

Been there and there again

Postby krd » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:36 pm

Hey tlc

Welcome to the forum. I too suffer from sciatica. I had a bout last year lasted for about 2 months in pain, and then another month till I would try to do my favorite thing, golf, again. Having my second bout this year. It has been six weeks and the pain is virtually gone. However, there is residual tightness and it is hard for me to walk upright.

My advice to you is to take it very easy in the beginning. Use ice for the first few days and then heat later. Whatever feels best. If you do any stretches, make sure that it doesn't hurt and if it does stop doing it. Remember, right now your nerve is very sensitive. Any sudden movement can create some significant pain. I am doing minor stretches still and not overdoing. Trying to walk more and more each day.

Hang in there and know that this could last a while. You are not alone in this. Sciatica is very hard to get through. I know from experience. I pray alot, drink lots of water, and stretch when ever I can. I will be checking on your progress. Be posting.

Ken
krd

Postby randolph » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:52 pm

Hello TLC

Ken covered the important points. Patience is very important ... especially if you're middle-aged like Ken and I are. My first back injuries in my 20's and 30's cleared up in weeks. Ain't working like that this time, now that I'm in my 50's. I've taken good care of myself, too (exercising, eating right, good lifestyle choices) for the last 30 years (after those wild an' crazy hippie years).

What's safe to do? Dean offers a wide variety of exercises., and goes into some depth on doing those exercises in his forum conversation with Eloise. Give them a try for sure. The beginning basic exercises are great the first month. Stretch as far as you can, without pain. You should loosen up and get stronger as you do them. Add the advanced exercises after a month or so, doing what you can, but not pushing it too much. Be especially careful to maintain a nuetral spine, and minimize the strain on your lower back while doing any exercise. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Measure progress from week to week.

Keep educating yourself about the many approaches to treating sciatica symptoms. Dean's homepage Resources link is great. Be especially skeptical of the info offered in commercial websites; sad to say, there are a lot of folks out there who are trying to make as much as they can off your pain. Check out other forums like backpaindiscussiongroup.com to see why it's so important to give this physical therapy your best, patient effort, so you can avoid surgery. The best care-giver you have for recovery from sciatica is ... you.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on your progress.

Randolph
randolph

Postby sherry1 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:25 am

Hi tlc

I had a hernaited disc in L4 back in July 2005 which left me with chronic sciatic pain.
What cured the pain was my fab physio an 3 sessions of acupunture.
It hasnt cured my acute back pain which i have just had Facet joint injections to see if they help.
( THEY HAVENT)

Every one is different. What works for one may not work for another but just thought i'd add my pennies worth!

Best wishes
sherry1

Return to Lower Back Pain