Interesting Article in Australian Magazine

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

Interesting Article in Australian Magazine

Postby SeafordMdf » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:31 am

Here is a current and I think interesting article on Back Pain in a well respected magazine.

http://bulletin.ninemsn.com.au/bulletin/site/articleIDs/A5628F5E310C62A1CA257134000C73E6

The article is about a well know Australian racing car driver who had a broken back
But it took the Experts 25 years to diagnose it !

Some very interesting comments within the article , Well worth a read
SeafordMdf

Postby Bill » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:02 am

Hi SeafordMdf,

Welcome to the group. I've been reading some of your posts and I appologize for not replying sooner. It's been a busy week.

Yes, that is a good article. A definate read especially for someone who has had back pain for years and nothing seems to help.

Thanks for sharing it with the group.

Bill
Bill

Re: Interesting Article in Australian Magazine

Postby Jeanette » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:42 pm

SeafordMdf wrote:Here is a current and I think interesting article on Back Pain in a well respected magazine.

http://bulletin.ninemsn.com.au/bulletin/site/articleIDs/A5628F5E310C62A1CA257134000C73E6

Some very interesting comments within the article , Well worth a read

Thanks, SeafordMdf, for the interesting article. I'd say the situation is pretty much the same in the US. For some, time and improved technology have certainly helped. For others, it continues to be a matter of finding your own way.

And ditto to Bill's welcome to the forum.
Jeanette

Spinal Trap

Postby SeafordMdf » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:28 pm

Bill and Jeanette , Thanks for the welcome :D

It was an interesting article and more so for myself as Kevin Bartlett the man referred to is very well known here for his activities with Car Racing and Custom Vehicles.

You would never for a second have guessed that he had back pain , let alone known that he was racing with a fractured L5 vertebrae for 25 years .

This comment within also rang very true :-
“There are almost as many treatments for sore backs as there are people with sore backs,” says Professor John Murtagh, a noted medical educator and adjunct professor at Monash University.

Mark
SeafordMdf

Postby randolph » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:03 am

Hello Mark!

Thanks for the good read about that race driver's mysterious bad back.

Two things I found of interest to mention here, besides encouraging others to read the article (not too long!)

First: during the patient's years of searching for effective medical help for his back pain, the patient visited a chiropractor who had the quite admirable integrity to admit he could offer no help to him and declined to render unnecessary treatment! Wow!!

Second: amazing to read that as patients, we will tolerate ineffective (and even unnecessary) treatments from a medical practitioner if we are given more personal attention that expected. I've read that the extra personal attention that DCs generally give to patients (relative to GPs) accounts for some of the continued popularity of DCs in spite of the dubious quality of help often provided. I think I saw this phenomenon first as a child when I wondered why my dad weekly hauled me to the barber for a haircut Mom was only too willing to provide. I was smart enough to realize it seemed weird that he spent this money so eagerly (while otherwise being quite the tightwad) ... but seeing his enthusiasm for the conversation with the barber and other customers he would meet in the barbershop, I realized that more was going on there than cutting hair!

Thanks again for the good read, and good luck with your use of the RYB program, Mark!

Randolph
randolph

Postby SeafordMdf » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:18 pm

randolph wrote:First: during the patient's years of searching for effective medical help for his back pain, the patient visited a chiropractor who had the quite admirable integrity to admit he could offer no help to him and declined to render unnecessary treatment! Wow!! Randolph

Hi Randolf ,

I "think" I can answer why that occurred and for 3 possible reasons :-

1/ Patient was a very HIGH PROFILE Sportsman

2/ Laws with regards to Chiropractors in Australia are "reasonably" strict , (Possibly tighter than other parts of the world ? )

3/ The Chiro may have realised that If Doctors , Physio and other Medical staff were unable to give even a vague diagnosis on the patient's problems that there may well be something sinister going on with the patients back and thought it wise not to continue with any treatment ?

Imagine if any serious spinal manipulation was done on his back , It's a good chance that the L5 vertebrae could have suffered more serious damage than was already present .

I'd say he made a good call on that one , not only for the patient , But also Himself !!

Cheers ,

Mark
SeafordMdf

Return to Lower Back Pain