Please Help L5 S1Shift

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

Please Help L5 S1Shift

Postby Dave » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:55 am

My L5 has shifted toward the front 45 degrees on S1. It's been classified as a phase 2. It was probably a phase 1 until I saw a chiropractor this last month. I have gotten the book rebuild your back. Can that L5 be shifted back enough by exercise to be safe enough for sports like Tae Kwon Do? and Which exercises are the safest to prevent further slippage? I was in traffic accidents as long ago as 19 years which I believe may have started the whole thing from the old x-rays.

Thanks for all your help and advice
Dave

Postby Steven » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:50 am

Hi Dave,

All of the exercises are safe to do. You might find one or two that aggravate your condition slightly at first but as long as you follow the directions you shouldn't actually injure yourself seriously in any way. Just don't do the ones that cause you problems until your back is better.

As far as being able to predict whether or not you can actually shift the L5 back into place, that remains to be seen. All you can do is try. I suspect that it's more a case of training the muscles and ligaments to hold it securely back where it belongs rather than to think in terms of the muscles shifting it back. Maybe your doctor can shed more light on this.

There is a lot of twisting involved in Tae Kwon Do so a strong lower back and abs will be necessary to protect your spine. After you spend a few months rebuilding just slowly try to ease back into practicing your kicks and other techniques and just see what happens.

Good luck and let us know what you discover.
Steven
Steven

Postby Dave » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:54 pm

Hi Steven,

Thank you for your reply and encouragement. I was hoping to hear about some of the results that people have been having with their backs or a problem like mine and how active they have been able to be since going through it. My job is demanding and I hope that I will be able to continue it after therapy which I am also deeply concerned about besides getting my back rebuilt enough to move safely. I really appreciate that there is a forum like this available.
Some of my pain has gone away already just by going for walks for a couple of hours and doing the exercises which is also encouraging. But, the pain still wakes me at night bothers me in the early morning. Sometimes when I get up, even just from sitting, it feels like there is extra weight around my waist besides pain.

Well, thanks again for your post.

Dave
Dave

Return to Lower Back Pain