New minor lower right back pinched nerve

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

New minor lower right back pinched nerve

Postby bjcgreenacres » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:43 am

Hi. New to forum. I just woke up one morning with a pinched nerve in my lower right back. I've never had back pains before. No known injury. This mostly hurts when I move a certain way and it's extreme pain. Difficulty rolling over in bed and getting up from sitting. Don't feel that it's severe enough to go to a Dr. but any reccommendations on home treatment to make this go away. Doesn't hurt at all unless I move. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. B
bjcgreenacres

Postby randolph » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:03 pm

Hello B

My best advice: download Dean's books (RYB and Pain Relief Manual, in your case) and in between doing the basic exercises for 2 to 4 weeks, read the books, come back here and read the articles and forum. You probably won't lose anything but your pain. Good luck!
randolph

Better

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:16 pm

randolph wrote:Hello B

Would you say Hello or is better?

Re: Better

Postby bjcgreenacres » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:00 am

Anonymous wrote:

Don't understand comment........pain is still there but more minor and mostly laying on my sides sleeping.
bjcgreenacres

Re: Better

Postby Jeanette » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:38 pm

bjcgreenacres wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

Don't understand comment........pain is still there but more minor and mostly laying on my sides sleeping.

bjc -- I'm not sure about the comment either :? -- maybe something got lost.

Re your discomfort while sleeping. Sounds all too familiar :( Dean makes some recommendations about sleeping posture in Rebuild Your Back (Ch. 7) that may be helpful. There are some other back pain relief books that are a bit more detailed -- you might flip through a few at your local library -- but Dean has summarized their main points pretty succinctly -- which is one of the best things about his books.

I'm still not sure what precipitated my latest back/sciatica, but given the data from an MRI and nerve conductivity tests as well as the amount of healing time required, I'm guessing I managed to pinch some nerves, too. Until they settled down somewhat -- the pins and needles are still with me, but it beats the shooting pains :) -- trying to get a decent night's sleep was a real challenge.

We sleep on a memory foam bed, so I'm sure that's helped, and I've taken to sleeping with a cushy pillow between my legs, one that shpes itself from thighs to ankles. Some nights I've felt like a suckling pig roasting on a spit because I had to turn over so often to relieve the pressure on the nerves running across my hips. And it was a long time before I could sleep on my back again -- some nights I still can't.

I think because postural alignment is harder to maintain while you're sleeping and as your muscles relax, the nighttime discomfort seems to be the last to go. Even once mine does, I plan to continue using the pillow as it seems to help reduce the pressure on those nerves that run down across the outside of hip and thigh.

Once the pain is gone, don't lose the impetus to move on through the exercises to keep your back strong.

Take care.
Jeanette

Return to Lower Back Pain