Where is everybody?

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

Where is everybody?

Postby Bill » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:23 pm

Somebody ask me a question. I'm getting bored. 8)

Bill
Bill

Postby randolph » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:01 am

Glad to oblige you, Bill!

First: how do you get those emoticons into the post???

Second: what back injury symptoms did the rebuild your back program help you overcome; and how much do you do each day/week to maintain/strengthen you back now?

Third: when do you know you've rested enough after the initial back injury? what are the dangers of resting too much and what do we have to beware of if we have rested too much before starting the exercises?

Fourth: What is the likelihood I was injured by the good-hearted but misguided chiropractor who cracked my lumbar a good one, two weeks after my initial injury? You'll probably need more info on this one ... but I first wanted to see if you want to pursue this.

Fifth: Do you have any experience with nutritional therapy to help the body heal from injury? It's so difficult to know whether the supplements I'm taking are working for real, or whether it's a placebo thing and/or psychosomatic induced healing from all the $$ spent on the pills. And, have you tried glyconutrients?

I hope at least one of these sparks some interest ... looking forward to your insights!!
randolph

Postby Bill » Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:53 pm

Hi randolph,

The emoticons are easy. Just place your cursor where you want it to appear and then click on the one you want. (A shorthand version will appear in your text and you can continue typing.)

I had a bad back that flared up at least two or three times a year. That went on for about 10 years. Only thing I knew to do back then was chiropractic. It obviously wasn't working but I didn't know what else to do.

Now days, I exercise rather sporadically. I still try to do the basics everyday at least once but I don't really do them all together. I tend to just do them out of habit as I go through the day rather than as a set exercise routine. It works for me, but I don't recommend anyone else follow my lead.

I should do more than I do.

As far as the resting questions, I think that has to be almost an intuitive thing that will be different for each person and each injury. The only hard and fast rules that I know are that more than two days of bed rest are a bad idea.

Did the chiro injure you? That's a hard one to answer. Probably on some level but how much you'll probably never know. I know in your previous posts you mention that you had difficulty getting home afterward but whether that meant it was a serious injury or just a very painful minor injury is something that you'll probably never know.

I know almost nothing about nutritional supplements so I'll steer clear of that one. I have used garlic capsules and even fresh cloves (cooked in food) for muscle aches and pains. Seems to work pretty good, but could be my imagination. :lol:

Take care,
Bill
Bill

Postby randolph » Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:50 am

Thanks for the reply, Bill :lol:

My concern about the amount of rest advisable after injury arose from the fact that for 3 weeks after the chiropractor apparently injured me (more on that later) I left my bed only to use the bathroom, and then I only crawled. Standing for more than a few seconds was impossible without horrible sciatic pain. It was not until I'd found RYB, and you advised doing the exercises as best I could that I got out of bed. (by the way, thanks VERY much for that advice). Could the excessive bedrest be part of the reason behind the very slow recuperation I am experiencing? While my flexibility and strength have largely improved the last two months since starting the exercises, and I now am doing the advanced exercises and doing 30 vigorous, sweaty minutes on the exercise bike each day, I still can bend over forward only enough to touch my knees. Before the initial injury I could easily put my palms to the floor, straight-legged. Of coarse, this concern is largely academic: regardless, the only sensible thing to do is continue with the RYB program.

But this next concern is not. It's my understanding that I don't have a chance of successfuly suing the chiropractor for various financial damages resulting from his malpractice. However, I live in a small town and I really don't want him hurting others. I've already informed those I know who are paying for his mal-service of the dangers they face (they were all quite unconvinced ... but I, at least, discharged my duty). And I think I have a duty to advise the chiro that he is quite possibly hurting people. He makes a big deal about being a Christian, and it's my understanding they want to do things right ... so who knows ... maybe there's an ounce of conscience left in him. The chiro's reaction to the greatly increased sciatic symptoms I experienced after his 3 adjustments was, "sometimes things like that happen ... tough luck." At the time, I thought he was a doctor, so I shrugged, figured tough luck ... then found out different on this website. So Bill is it likely the greatly aggravated sciatica syptoms that started right after, and developed for a couple days, are indication that the chiro did indeed injure me? :?: I now find it hard to believe I could have spontaneously, and coincidentally, gotten so much worse after the chiro adjustments, without there being some cause and effect there.

Thanks again for your thoughtful considerations.
randolph

Postby Dana » Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:12 pm

Hi guys,

I've been wondering where everybody was, too. Thought maybe we'd cured back pain and could all go home. :lol:

Randolph, I have no doubt that the chiropractor injured you. Whether or not you could sue is another question. I'm sure you could. But whether or not you'd win is the question. You'd have to be able to prove he was at fault I would think. Might be kind of tough to do.

Dana
Dana

Postby Bill » Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:55 pm

I don't think that three weeks of bed rest would be long enough to have that much impact on your recovery. If it was three months then I would say yeah definately, but 3 weeks probably didn't make that much difference.

Chiropractors, God bless 'em, where would we be without their help.

I agree with Dana, there's no doubt the chiropractor aggravated your condition. Like you say, there's a pretty obvious cause and effect relationship. I wholeheartedly share your feelings about wanting to keep him from hurting other people. That's the number one reason I'm so loyal to Dean and this website and why I bother to hang around answering other peoples questions. I think that what we're doing here has an excellent chance of someday putting a lot of chiropractors out of business. Maybe even ending it once and for all. Who knows?

I don't think that most chiropractors are bad people. I think it's like Dean says, they just don't know any better. They really believe chiropractic is a good thing and that everybody should get regular adjustments. They've been brainwashed by a lot of unscientific nonsense and just can't see the forest for the trees.

Bill
Bill

Return to Lower Back Pain