2 months into the program

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

2 months into the program

Postby anniecp » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:08 pm

:? I've been doing the exercises for about 2 months. While the tingling in my right hand is all but gone, I still don't feel 100%. I'm no where near ready to lift again. Your comments on this website sound so positive that I feel as though I may be one of those people this form of exercise won't heal me. For the most part I'm good, but I still have days 2-3 per week where I'm in pain. I do the advanced exercises at least 5 days a week and the alternate ones the other days. I do try to do as many sit ups in both forms and leg lifts as I can, and I probably push myself more than I should, but not being able to power walk as I'm used to doing I do these to hopefully keep myself from turning into a blimp! I can honestly say though that I am much more toned in the abdomen than I was.
What is realistic for a time frame to heal? If it's supposed to take 6 months or a year, I can accept that. It just seems like from what I read that most people were pain free much faster. Thanks for listening.
anniecp

Postby Dana » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:05 am

Hi Annie,

There is no exact time frame for how long it will take you. It's different for every person.

You didn't mention whether you're dealing with sciatica (pinched nerve) or just ordinary back pain (such as a torn ligament).

If just back pain, you should be totally free of pain before you move on to the advanced exercises. How long did you spend on the basic ones? Normally, you'd be pain free in a week or less.

If Sciatica, then you can do some of the advanced exercises sooner, but hitting the sit-ups hard 5 days a week is too much. You're probably straining your back at a time when you're supposed to be doing everything slowly and gently.

Sciatica can take months to resolve and Dean says another 6 months after that for the nerve to heal. Read his article on pinched nerves.

You may be short-circuiting your progress by worring too much about your weight.

Forget about ab exercises to lose weight. It is very inefficient to try to burn calories by workng small muscles. Working large muslces like your thighs, glutes, lats, arms, etc., burns more calories in less time and with less effort. Try just going for normal slow walks.

It is impossible to spot reduce. Your body burns calories over the entire body uniformly. Doing sit-ups won't burn fat around your tummy.

Besides you may be creating a muscle imbalance by over emphasizing your abs. This can create back problems that you didn't even have before. Do a balanced exercise routine that combines all of the rebuilding exercises equally.

(Whew) Sorry this is so long.

Basically, just be good to yourself. Take your time and concentrate on just slowly and gently getting your back 100%.

Dana
Dana

2 Months into program

Postby anniecp » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:05 am

Dana:
Thanks for the response. I have a buldging disk L4&5. This is the second year I have had the treatment. The numbness in my right hand started right after the second round of spinal injections which I had this September. I did the intro exercises for two weeks and was pain free when I started the advanced exercises.
I agree I am probably moving too quickly. Lifelong habit.
I don't know what to tell you on the spot reducing, but my waist and stomach are visibally smaller since I started doing the exercises. For whatever reason, woohoo!
I will stick to doing the number of reps suggested for the exercises listed. I haven't been walking since my neighborhood isn't good for that. I'll get back on the treadmill and pace myself to walk slow. That's hard though.
Thanks for your feedback.
annie
anniecp

Postby Dana » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:59 pm

Hi again Annie,

Yeah, two weeks wasn't long enough on the basic exercises. I think Dean recommends a full month. I would suggest that if you are still having pain that you drop back and start over on just the basics and see if you can't beat the pain before moving on.

You sound like a very motivated go-getter so I know that's going to be hard, but I think your progress would actually go faster in the long run.

The numbness in your right hand puzzles me because there are no nerves in the lower back that have any effect on the hand. Those nerves exit the spine at the base of the neck.

What did the doctor say about the hand business? Did he think it was related to the injections?

Very curious,
Dana
Dana

Return to Lower Back Pain