[An RYB Classic Moment -- Randolph's 1st Post]

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

[An RYB Classic Moment -- Randolph's 1st Post]

Postby randolph p » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:25 pm

greetings y'all

Found Rebuild Your Back yesterday after three weeks on my back surfing the web for help with this awful sciatic pain. Downloaded RYB and read it and most of your forum postings last night; excited of coarse! Not looking forward to the next 3-6 weeks of healing rest (already driving the wife and kids crazy). But thankfully we saved up for this rainy day, so I can BE patient, even if I'm not FEELING patient! Can relate w/ Brice: been athletic to the max for most of my 52 years. So, very glad to find both this encouraging forum and a realistic hope that my back may heal w/ no costly medical intervention and w/intense, personal discipline doing Dean's exercises ... after I can lie on my stomach w/o pain (someday soon I hope). Am looking forward to visiting here each day, and sharing a success story after I'm up and running/biking/lifting (and ... oh yeah ... a0 working again.
randolph p

Hang in there....

Postby krd » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:50 pm

Welcome to the forum. I like you am a very active 50 year old. This spring I hurt my back and had sciatic pain down my left leg into my foot. Pain in the butt - literally. That was then, this is now. I have been doing Dean's exercises off and on since healing but I wasn't ready to try for approximately 10 weeks. Feeling better every day, even playing golf again. Don't give up and drink plenty of water.
krd

Re: Hang in there....

Postby randolph p » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:59 pm

krd wrote:Welcome to the forum. I like you am a very active 50 year old. This spring I hurt my back and had sciatic pain down my left leg into my foot. Pain in the butt - literally. That was then, this is now. I have been doing Dean's exercises off and on since healing but I wasn't ready to try for approximately 10 weeks. Feeling better every day, even playing golf again. Don't give up and drink plenty of water.

Thanks KRD for reply. I can't believe it's 4 weeks since the injury that preceded this sciatic pain and i'm still just crawling. This only happens to other people, not specimens of previously perfert health like me! So it's really encouraging to read of others' successes ... and get realistic info like it may be 10 more weeks before I can even start the rebuilding exercises. So hard to get realistic info from any media; everyone seems to have some $$driven agenda that taints what they say. Hoping we can be real here. Thanks
randolph p

Postby Bill » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:54 pm

Hi Randolph p,

Hang in there, it will get better.

Do want to mention that with sciatica, it's not necessary to wait until the pain stops to start with the basic exercises. I know it sounds impossible, but remember the pain is caused by pinched nerves and the original injury is more than likely well healed by now and not likely to be "reinjured."

The exercises will help a great deal to reduce the pain, sometimes in as little as a day or two. (Can't guarantee exact results, of course. It's different for everyone.)

Resting in bed for weeks at a time waiting for the pain to subside is a very bad idea. It is a proven fact that it slows your recovery. The exercises are designed to relieve the pressure on that nerve, which will in turn stop the pain.

If it's really too painful to do the exercises, some physical therapists recommend using an over-the-counter NSAID like ibuprofen to relieve the pain so you can then do the physical therapy.

I'm not advocating drug use, but I have seen it work to get you started on the road to recovery sooner.

Just go slow and take it easy, but at the same time don't be afraid to work through the pain. The sooner you get on your feet, the better.

Bill
Bill

Please rest

Postby krd » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:33 am

I can't emphasize the fact that you have to rest it first. That does not mean laying in bed for weeks. It means doing light exercises like walking daily. I was trying to do the exercises early on but that just irritated the injury. It wasn't until approximately 10 weeks that it didn't bother me to do the stretches. Maybe it was just me, but I do have a high pain tolerance. Also, Advil did seem to help relieve some of the discomfort. Ice packs and heat packs were a god sent. I'll be checking in on your progress. Good luck!!!! :wink:
krd

Postby Bill » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:19 pm

I agree with krd,

As long as you aren't resting in bed you'll be fine. Listen to your body and go with your gut instincts.

Get up and move around as much as you can and keep active. Don't over do it. Try the exercises as soon as you can, but like krd says, if you have to wait then that's what your body is telling you.

My main concern in my first post was that you might be lying in bed for weeks and that is the road many people take to total disability. Research has proven that to be a mistake and that was what I wanted to make sure you avoided.

Good luck and keep us posted,
Bill
Bill

Postby randolph » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:20 pm

Bill and KRD: thanks so very much for the encouragement and advice. This AM after reading Bill's post, took some naproxen sodium to dull the pain and attempted the RYB beginning exercises. Still too much pain. So downloaded Dean's Pain book. And did the beginning beginning exercises thruout the afternoon. By dinner time, was at least able to stand (yeah!) and attempt the RYB exercises! More flexibility and less pain than in 3 weeks (and got to help the family with dinner cleanup chores). Then after dinner did the icepack/heatpad alternating thing on the lower back - WOW!! Hardly any sciatic pain; in a few minutes going to go to bed, for the first time in 5 weeks, lying on my stomach (favorite position) and taking no naproxen or tylenol. THE 6 STEPS OUTLINING PAIN RELIEF IN DEAN'S PAIN BOOK REALLY WORKED FOR ME TODAY!! Looking forward to tomorrow!!
randolph

Postby Dean » Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:29 pm

Hi Randolph,

I've been following this post as well as the personal messages from you (yes, I do read them all...) with great interest. I generally hold off on posting myself because I try to hang back and let the other members of the group have a chance to interact.

Wouldn't be much of a group if I were to dominate the conversations.

Just don't want you (or anyone else) to think I'm ignoring anyone.

Okay, having said that, I was just about to post and reiterate what Bill was saying about getting to the exercises as soon as you can... and now I see I don't have to. Yeah!

Believe me, I get just as excited as you do when things start to come together and I see you making those first successful steps. It's what makes this all worthwhile and keeps me going.

Just don't get too carried away and try to do too much. You may still experience some setbacks and you may have to experiment like you've been doing until you find what works for you.

Definately keep us posted on your progress.

Bill and KRD... I appreciate you guys more than you know. Your willingness to share your own experiences and to answer questions is what this forum is all about. (Same goes for the other regular members as well.) We've got a pretty good group here and I'm looking forward to seeing it continue to expand and grow.

Later guys,
Dean
Dean
Site Admin

Postby Mike12 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:34 am

Just wanted to let you know that I was scheduled for L4/L5 surgery in September 2005 when I found this site and the RYB book. After 3 days of the using the exercises, I went from 2000mg of ibuprofen to drug and pain free. I continue the exercises and am pain free. There are a few days when my back tells me "to take it easy". Overall, the exercise and strengthening is the best method to ease back pain.
Mike12

Postby Dean » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:54 pm

Hi Mike,

Good to hear from you again.

Dean
Dean
Site Admin

Postby thealia » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:43 pm

Hi everyone

I am so encouraged by Dean's website for the first time in 3 years I have hope. I am currently on disability due to back and neck issues I wrote about other times. I read at your recommendation to someone else to read KRD and Randolph. I am going to purchase the book they talked about regarding easing pain.

I truly felt suicidal before finding this site. Thank you so much everyone.
thealia

Return to Lower Back Pain