Back is getting worse

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

Back is getting worse

Postby Dorothy Sutton » Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:56 pm

Hi everyone,

I injured my back about 3 months ago and my husband told me to just rest and take it easy for awhile and it would heal. But it's been getting worse instead of better. Some days are better than others and I think it's going to be okay but then it flares up again and I wind up back in bed.

I don't want to go to a doctor but I guess I'm going to have to. I found your site while trying to decide what kind of doctor to go see.

What kind of doctor do you recommend? How can I rebuild my back if I can't get it to heal in the first place? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dorothy Sutton
Dorothy Sutton

Postby Sherry » Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:20 pm

Hi Dorothy,

I don't know what kind of doctor to recommend but I have learned that you don't want to bother with chiropractors.

Sherry
Sherry

Postby Bill » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:30 pm

Hi Dorothy,

The best place to start is your family doctor. If you don't have one you can try one of the new immediate care clinics that are popping up in most towns now days. They're staffed by groups of family pracice doctors so you'll get in quickly to see a real doctor.

Whatever you do, don't go to a chiropractor. Dean has several articles you should read if you haven't already. (Also check out the article: Which Doctor for Back Pain?)

Hope this helps,

Bill
Bill

Postby Richard » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:49 pm

Hi Dorothy,

I agree with Bill, your family doctor is the best place to start.

Also, part of the problem may be that you've spent too much time on the resting phase of the healing process. Research has shown that you don't want to rest in bed more than a couple of days. Certainly no more than a week.

Richard
Richard

Postby Dean » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:36 am

Hi everybody,

Great answers guys. I agree 100%. Dorothy, see a real doctor the first chance you get and then if he approves, get active as soon as possible.

Let us know how it turns out,
Dean
Dean
Site Admin

Postby longtallsally » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:09 pm

I am in a similar position. How do I know when to get active again? And let me stress, I am ACTIVE. I can't really even walk right now, and spent 4 days last week in bed getting gradually better. Then I did some very mild exercises in the morning. After a day of sitting at the office, I came home and had a total relapse. I just don't know when to start?
longtallsally

Return to Lower Back Pain