Lower back pain

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

Lower back pain

Postby Mhuffman3345 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:15 pm

I am new to this site and I hope that someone can help me. I am 31 years old and have had back pain for 24 years. I could write a book on how many doctors I've been to and what I've been told. To make a long story short, I have recently been told that not only is my pelvis tilted (which I understand is not that uncommon), but my sacrum is also tilted and twisted. I am now going to a pain management doctor because I don't know what else to do. I have been taking pain meds for 7 years, and am terrified that someone is going to think that I'm a drug seeker. I am embarrased when I go to the drugstore to get a prescription filled. I have been to physical therapy twice and neither time worked. I would like to have a baby, but have been told that this may be difficult due to nerve damage. I have pain in my lower back, buttocks, hips, and legs. I have good days and bad days, but the past 3 weeks have been very difficult. I have not been able to go longer than a few hours without pain. My father had back surgery 2 weeks ago for a problem different from mine. He is urging me to go to the doctor he used because he has made tremendous progress. I am afraid, however, that I am going to get the same old, "There's nothing I can do for you". The pain affects my everyday life, including work, sex with my husband, social activities, cleaning my house, riding in a car, etc. No one that I work with has any idea how bad I hurt. I try to have a smile on my face no matter how I feel. But when I do same something about my back hurting, or walk in limping, the attitude I get, is, "If you're not crying, you're not hurting". It's very hard to not have support from others. I have not yet bought this book, as I just found this website tonight. What I want to know is, do you think these exercises would help this condition? Arthritis has settled in my sacriiliac joints and lots of movement seem to aggravate this. Please let me know what you think. I get so depressed because I don't want to have to live like this forever. Thanks, Meg
Mhuffman3345

Postby Bill » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:16 pm

Hi Meg,

I always try to answer posts in this forum with a balance of "positive attitude" tempered by "realistic expectations." My opinion is that you can accomplish anything you set your mind to do.

I have no doubt that you can improve your back, regardless of what condition it is in right now. The fact that you've had this problem for 24 years, would tend to suggest that it probably won't happen overnight, but I think you can still do it.

If you read any of my other posts, you'll see that I am completely sold on Dean's approach to reconditioning bad backs. I used his book to "rebuild" my own back a couple of years ago and I firmly believe it is the best book on the subject. I've read several and, while they all seem to have some good points, I always come back to Dean's as being the best overall.

Having said that, I have to interject the "realistic" part again and say that nothing is going to work for everyone. All anyone can do is try.

The only mistake you can make is in not trying.

Hope this answers your questions,
Bill
Bill

Postby Dana » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:28 pm

Hi Meg,

I have to agree with Bill. You need to try rebuilding your back before you do anything else. Especially before you do something drastic like surgery.

I didn't have back pain for 24 years, but it solved my back problems and it's not as difficult as it may sound.

Dana
Dana

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:55 pm

I apologize. I thought I had corrected any mistakes in my letter. I am 31 years old and have had back pain since I was 24. So I have not had back pain for 24 years, only 7. I am sorry about that mistake. However, it sometimes seems that I have hurt for 24 years! Thanks for your replies, Meg

Postby cc » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:45 am

Hi, i think you should get another opinion, ask your friends if they know anyone. Getting a respected and well known docter would be good, but may set you back a bit. But just remember its part of you and if you deteriorate maybe you wont be able to fix it again. so just be careful. cc
cc

Return to Lower Back Pain