Variation on Stomoch exercises!

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

Variation on Stomoch exercises!

Postby PeteD » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:00 am

Hello everyone!

Just a quick mention to a variation on Stomoch exercises

If you find sit ups/crunches tuff on your back/neck (I am currently) then the plank exercise is a good one...By this i mean perch on your forearms and your toes (kinda like a push-up) keeping back straight and hold it. Make sure lordosis doesnt sag. This strengthens your stomoch and at the correct length to make you hold yourself uypright as well!!

Just thought id mention it!!!!

regards

PeteD
PeteD

Postby Bill » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:52 am

Hi again Pete,

Another excellent post! I just tried your exercise and I'm impressed. Definately one to add to my list! Really appreciate you sharing that.

Bill
Bill

Postby Paul » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:10 pm

Hi Pete,

Yeah! Very good exercise! Thanks Pete.

Paul
Paul

Book title for ab exercises

Postby PeteD » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:45 pm

Dear Bill and Paul

The exercises are from Dr jolie Bookspan 'The Ab Revolution'

This lady broke her neck and taught her self to walk again!!!! Thats hard core!!!

You can do the plank exercise on your elbow and side of foot to do side stomoch musles if that makes sense.

Just dont drink tooo much water before doing the plank. We dont want any accidents do we!!! lol

All the best my friends

PeteD
PeteD

Postby Dean » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:45 pm

Hi Pete,

I love it when I learn a new exercise. Especially one this good. I tried it yesterday and I could tell right away that it was going to be affective.

I hope everyone will add it to their advanced routine. (It may be okay for some to add at the basic level, but I have to err on the side of caution and say wait until you're well past the "injury prone" stage because it does work both the lumbar and the abs.

Thanks Pete,

Dean
Dean
Site Admin

FAO Dean

Postby PeteD » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:06 am

Glad you like the exercise!!! Dr Bookspan is very good! Shes all for firming up stomoch so as to protect back. Other than 'ab revolution' the other good book is 'health and fitness in plain English'. Shes rather anti exercises that flex you as it lexing that hurt our backs and necks to start with!

Another suggestion she made was to use those resistance rubber bands.
Basically attach them to something solid and pull them towards you but uses your tummy to stop your body from being twisted! This helps you towork your muscles as you need them in everyday life.

You have to remember this woman broke here back and neck and rehabed herself!!!

Can i say once again thanks so much for this site and inspiring me to make me help myself!

All the very best

Pete
PeteD

Thanks

Postby krd » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:57 am

Hey Pete thanks for the heads up on this new exercise. I am going out now to buy the book. I need all the help I can get to strengthen my abs. It is great to be a part of this forum thanks to input like this.
krd

by the way KRD

Postby PeteD » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:40 pm

By the way take a look at the other book the health one.....invaluable really!!!!

if id of read it a year or so ago i would be in this predicament!!!!

But then i wouldnt of met all you nice people!!!

Lets hope we all get better!

Love to everyone

PeteD
PeteD

planks

Postby Karen S. » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:06 am

if you would like to try an extended arm plank, it is the same move that Pete mentioned, but with extended arms....then you can do fun things to make it more challenging like add a leg lift, or just hold....great Pilates exercises, Joseph would be proud!!!!!!
Karen S.

Postby longtallsally » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:48 pm

From what I know, this is a very good core exercise. I would think that if you make sure to "suck your gut in" it would really work the core muscles very well.

As a whole it is very much like the Free Motion machines starting to show up in gyms. They are basically a new twist on the cable machines of back in the day with the advantage of some of them allowing the use of a pilotis ball with them. I have even been told that dumbell exercises with a pilotis ball is exceptional for the back based on it forcing the use of stabilization muscles. But the Free Motion machine offers a bit more "real world" movement that you can ensure that your form is perfect and work the stabilization muscles- much like using free weights.
longtallsally

Return to Lower Back Pain